Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Irishmen

Andy Shaw

I have used many of the on line resources, particularly the census to track down the 'men behind the medals' of the Royal Irish Fusiliers that were born in England. But have a number of gaps for men that were born in the South/North of Ireland.

Do any pals know what census information is available and how easy is it to obtain birth and death certificates. Also is any of this info available on line.

Any pointers most appreciated.

Andy :)

The Irish records office is on line and you can get birth certificates through them or the county records offices. If they died in France you can get a death cert from the UK Records offices.

Here are the details of two soldiers who ages I am trying to find. I looked for a record of their death certificates at the Family Research Link, www.1837online.com. But no joy.

I don't know if this site has details of deaths abroad in WW1, have sent them a message asking. If not I presume I will have to look in person at the family records centre.

Private 11924 William Elliott

1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers

Killed in action 12th October 1916

William was born in Banbridge, Co. Down and enlisted in Lurgan, Co. Armagh. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial , France. Pier and face 15a

Private 6158 John Larkin

1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers

Killed in action 25th April 1915

John was born and enlisted in Dundalk, Co. Louth. He has no Known grave and is commemorated on the Menin Gate, Belgium. Panel 42

Andy

I will check my local library which has acopy of Irelands Memorial records 1914-1918. This can sometimes yield more information than what is on the CWGC site.

Stephen

Suggest that you send an e-mail to the editor of the Lurgan Mail. His name is Richard Elliott!

Send your request to him in letter format with return e-mail address. We often get requests like this in my own paper and sometimes they DO pay dividends. Weekly newspaper editors LOVE to get letters of this type. They break up the 'I hate the Council for not emptying my bin properly' scenarios. Lurgan Mail e-mail address will be edlm@mortonnewspapers.com.

Anybody else trying to tie up Irish angles could use this form of appeal.

Morton Newspapers has weeklies in virtually every town in NI and you can find various address by browsing for the firm on the net. They are also connected to Scottish Radio Holdings which has papers in the south and (of course) in Scotland.

Stephen,

Thanks for the offer of the 'look ups'. Do the memorial records contain a lot of additional info. Navel & Military press have recently reprinted it at £285

Desmond,

I'll get writing. I'm sure if I send them to many requests they will let me know!. :rolleyes:

Andy