Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S NUBIAN.

Roger Thompson

Hi there pals,

Whilst looking for another person I came across the Headstone for John Sharp, Leading Stoker HMS Nubian, does any one know anything about this vessell, He was killed it looks like 26th October 1916(water erosion) on the sandstone, in the English Channel.

On the reverse of the headstone it goes on to say that his work collegues, clerks and surface workers at Sharlston Colliery all contributed to the cost of it.

Cheers Roger.

Hello Roger,

The destroyer HMS Nubian was torpedoed in a surface action with German destroyers in the English Channel on 27th October 1916 & drifted ashore.

On 8th November 1916 the destroyer HMS Zulu struck a mine in the English Channel & the stern broke off as she was towed into Calais.

Later the forward part of Zulu & the stern part of Nubian were joined together & commissioned as HMS Zubian on 17th June 1917.

ARABIS.

HMS NUBIAN had her bows blown off by a torpedo from a German destroyer during a night action on this date. Taken under tow she went aground off Dover and was further damaged forward. Twelve days later her sister ship, HMS ZULU struck a mine in the Channel and had her stern blown off. She was towed to Calais. The two half-ships were joined at Chatham Dockyard in 1917 and re-commissioned as HMS ZUBIAN. She survived the war.

Hello Roger, this is the Admiralty record of Sharp's death:

SHARP, JOHN, STOKER 1c, K 28461 (Po), NUBIAN H.M. Destroyer, 27-Oct-16, SHIP LOSS.

15 other men also died.

Best wishes

David

Hi all,

Thanks Arabis, Horatio 2, and Historydavid,

For the quick and full explanation, I had not any idea about Naval matters as my grandad served in the Army 1914/18, so done plenty of research there.

Zubian is suppose is a logical name for the cut and shunt ship, I only wish I could down size the photo for the forum just for you to see the splendid headstone.

Thanking all again.

Roger.