Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S. MAGPIE

JONDI

Hi everybody,

I have recently found out that my great, great uncle, Sidney Oglesby was on H.M.S. Magpie at the end of the war in 1918 and would love to know if anyone has any information or facts about the vessel. Sidney joined the Royal Navy on 7th May 1914, and his service number was M7543. Before joining he was a baker and so on joining the navy became an acting cooks mate. Sidney was on the Magpie from 6th March 1918 to 29 January 1919 were he was the cooks mate.

All I know about the vessel is that it was a screw gunboat launched in 1889 and eventually sold in 1921.

Any info about the Magpie would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John

John,

Some information you may or may not be aware of.

MAGPIE, Composite Steam Gunboat, 805 tons, 165 ft by 31 ft, 6 x 4in guns. Built at Pembroke Dock and launched 15/03/1889. Boom Defence Vessel 1902, Gunboat 1915, Depot Ship October 1915. Sold 29/12/1921. Broken up by Duguid and Stewart.

Info from "Ships of the Royal Navy" by J.J. Colledge

MAGPIE (1889) Portsmouth/Southampton, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, Depot Ship.

Gunboat, Boom Defence Vessel 1902, Depot Ship and Repair Ship at Southampton 03/1915.

Paid Off 29/01/1919 to dockyard control, Reserve at Hamble. Sold 29/12/1921

Info from "Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy" by B. Warlow

You may be lucky and find a photo at this site, http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/royal.htm

Hope this is of some assistance,

Donny

John,

Some information you may or may not be aware of.

MAGPIE, Composite Steam Gunboat, 805 tons, 165 ft by 31 ft, 6 x 4in guns. Built at Pembroke Dock and launched 15/03/1889. Boom Defence Vessel 1902, Gunboat 1915, Depot Ship October 1915. Sold 29/12/1921. Broken up by Duguid and Stewart.

Info from "Ships of the Royal Navy" by J.J. Colledge

MAGPIE (1889) Portsmouth/Southampton, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, Depot Ship.

Gunboat, Boom Defence Vessel 1902, Depot Ship and Repair Ship at Southampton 03/1915.

Paid Off 29/01/1919 to dockyard control, Reserve at Hamble. Sold 29/12/1921

Info from "Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy" by B. Warlow

You may be lucky and find a photo at this site, http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/royal.htm

Hope this is of some assistance,

Donny

Hi Donny

Thanks for all that information about H.M.S. Magpie its all new to me which if fantastic.

All I had was a name for one of the ships he served on and nothing more.

I will have a look on the website you mentioned to see if a picture of the gunboat exists.

Thanks

John

Sidney joined the Royal Navy on 7th May 1914, and his service number was M7543. Before joining he was a baker and so on joining the navy became an acting cooks mate.

His enlistment papers are in the ledgers at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

His enlistment papers are in the ledgers at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Thanks for the help regarding my great, great uncle

John

What was he doing from 1914 to 1918?

Hi

The information I have about my great, great uncle, Sidney Oglesby is as follows-

VICTORY 1 as acting 2 cooks mate FROM 7th May 1914

VICTORY 1 as 2 cooks mate from 9th July 1914 to 16th October 1914

EXCELLENT as 2 cooks mate from 17th October to 4 July 1915

SIRIUS ? (i think) 2 cooks mate from 5th July 1915 to 6 March 1915

SIRIUS ? as cooks mate from 7th March 1915 to 17 January 1918

VICTORY as cooks mate from 18th January 1918 to 5th March 1918

MAGPIE as cooks mate from 6th March 1918 to 29th January 1919

VICTORY 1 as cooks mate from 30th January 1919 to 8th April 1919

from 9th April 1919 to 22 July 1919 I cant make out the ships name

VICTORY 111 as cook from 23 July 1919 to 14 January 1920

Then it says - Shore, free discharge

I believe because of illness

Thanks

John

Discharge 'free' means just that - he did not have to buy himself out. Had he been ill he would have been invalided. Men discharged free usually had to provide evidence of an offer of civilian employment.

Discharge 'free' means just that - he did not have to buy himself out. Had he been ill he would have been invalided. Men discharged free usually had to provide evidence of an offer of civilian employment.

Hi

Thanks for that info its very interesting

John

The Sirius was an old cruiser that formed part of the bombarding squadron of The Dover Patrol early in the war. In 1918 it was blown up during the first attack on Ostend.

Myrtle

The Sirius was an old cruiser that formed part of the bombarding squadron of The Dover Patrol early in the war. In 1918 it was blown up during the first attack on Ostend.

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle

Thank you for your information regarding H.M.S. Sirius, thats 2 ships now that I have info on

Many thanks

John

Hello John

H.M.S. MAGPIE (iii) Composite gunboat of the Redbreast Class.

post-166-1188483874.jpg

Regards John

Hi John

Thanks for your picture and help regarding H.M.S. MAGPIE

John

Hello John,

To amplify Myrtle's post; the Sirius was deliberately blown up to act as a blockship.

Best wishes

David

Hi David

Many thanks for your information regarding the Sirius

Best Wishes

John

Hello John,

To amplify Myrtle's post; the Sirius was deliberately blown up to act as a blockship.

Best wishes

David

John/David

The Sirius was filled with cement and was intended as a blockship, however it appears that she was battered at point-blank range by the German guns and was in sinking condition when she grounded "four hundred yards" east of the piers at Ostend. It was at that point that she was blown up and her crew and that of the Brilliant were taken off by motor-launch.

Myrtle

VICTORY 1 Portsmouth accounting section

EXCELLENT gunnery establishment

VICTORY Either THE ship of the same name (Flag Ship Portsmouth and still afloat in 1918) or the barracks.

VICTORY 111 Wantage accounting section for ships at Portland.

VICTORY 1 Portsmouth accounting section

EXCELLENT gunnery establishment

VICTORY Either THE ship of the same name (Flag Ship Portsmouth and still afloat in 1918) or the barracks.

VICTORY 111 Wantage accounting section for ships at Portland.

Hi everybody

Just had to say a big thank you to you all for all your work the past few days in giving me so much information regarding the various ships and establishments my great, great uncle was on. I tried looking myself on the internet for any info on the Victory 1 or Victory 111 but all I could come up with was the Victory as in Nelsons flagship on both counts.

John