Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cloth patch

Guest jwillia5

Guest jwillia5

Hello there,

I wonder if anyone would be able to clarify some detail for me regarding a a cloth patch I have. It is arched in shape, red in colour and bears the title South Lancashire. I am told it originates from the Great War and obviously from the S. Lancs regt and that it was worn at the top / shoulder end of the sleeve.

Are you able to confirm that for me, and also clarify whether all men/all ranks/all S. Lancs battalions wore these as part of their usual dress and what dates these were introduced? I haven't found a clear picture of a S. Lancs uniform (as yet) but have an interest in a private of D coy, 8th Btn. who died at Ypres, 1917.

Thanks a million,

Jane

Jane

This shoulder title is the type used from 1943 until the South Lancashire Regiment amalgamated with the East Lancashire Regiment on 1st July 1958 to form The Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers).

The 8th South Lancs did have a distinctive arm badge during the Great War - a sillouette of the Sphinx (taken from their cap badge) in crimson cloth. This was worn on the upper arms. The battalion also wore the red horseshoe of 25th Division on the back of their tunic, underneath the collar, a brigade indicator on the back of the collar between 1916-17 and also company colours on their shoulder straps:Bn. H.Q., Purple; “A” Coy, Blue; “B” Coy, Yellow; “C” Coy, Light Green; “D” Coy, Dark Green. The Brigade and Company indicators were later replaced with a combination of horizontal bars worn on the upper arms which indicated the company, battalion and brigade of the wearer.

Hope this helps.

Guest jwillia5

Oh dear...not Great War at all then!! How disappointing!

Well, thank you very much anyway....I appreciate your reply.

Best regards

Jane