Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ship moorgate or moorgite ?

tom compton

dear pals i have an old postcard from 1914 showing british troops on a dockside in france in the background i can just make out a name on a ship moorgate or moorgite ? anyone know anything about her .thanks tom

The name appears to be 'Moorgate' (if you do a search on this forum you'll find a brief mention), and the following link gives mention of her in a convoy in WW2 (assuming its the same one):

http://www.freewebs.com/hmsroyaloak/uboatcommandwardiary.htm

There was a ship of that name sunk in 1910. Whilst it's possibly not yours, perhaps the same shipping company built and named the second one as well, or perhaps it is yours and was repaired?:

MOORGATE

Dowgate S.S. Co.; 1907;

J. L. Thompson & Sons; 3,785 tons;

346x49-5x25-3; 350 n.h.p.; triple-expansion engines.

The British cargo ship Moorgate was wrecked near Salinas, Brazil, on February 8th, 1910, while on a voyage from Barry to Manaos with a cargowhich included rails.

Bob.

dear pals i have an old postcard from 1914 showing british troops on a dockside in france in the background i can just make out a name on a ship moorgate or moorgite ? anyone know anything about her .thanks tom

Hello Tom,

From "His Majesty`s Merchant Navy", by Paymr. Lieut-Cmdr. E. C. Talbot Booth, R.N.R., published between the two World Wars.

Redgate S.S. Co. Ltd. [Turnbull Scott & Co.] London.

Steamship owners since 1882, and conducts a general cargo service with vessels up to 5,500 tons. All have names ending in "Gate".

Might be worth looking into.

Regards,

ARABIS.

The name would be Moorgate, but not either of the ones Bob referred to.

After the 1910 ship loss mentioned above, Dowgate SS. Co., Ltd acquired another vessel and renamed it Moorgate. This one had also been built in 1907 by J. L. Thompson & Sons, Ltd., Sunderland to similar dimensions (the same design?) and was originally named Arnell. This Moorgate did survive the war -- barely. She went ashore on April 5, 1916 in Cloughey Bay, Co. Down, while on a voyage from Newport for Bermuda with a cargo of coal. She was refloated in August and September 1916 in two pieces and repaired in 1917/18.

She changed owners in 1919 before running aground again, this time 7 miles west of Cape Pine, St. Mary's Bay, Newfoundland, on March 17, 1920, while on a voyage from Antofagasta & Louisburg, C.B. for Liverpool & Hamburg with a cargo of nitrate. She was not salvaged.

Best wishes,

Michael