Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Long Long Trail Post Card

Peter B

As many of you may be aware The Long Long Trail Website was named after the the chorus to the popular WW1 song "There's a long, long trail a winding".
Picked up this Post Card today and thought it may be of some interest.

post-2876-1188158204.jpg

Regards
Peter

Peter,

I have/had the set of three earlier this year, acquired in an album of cards, and I did keep them on one side wondering if Chris would want them, but in the end decided it was a stupid idea and that he wouldn't be interested...!

However, the title of your thread sparked a thought...

When the Thiepval Memorial people were fund-raising to build the visitors centre I asked if I could produce a 'limited edition' postcard to commemorate it, and sell it at postcard fairs alongside my normal stock, I figured I'd donate the £100 to produce 500, then sell them for £1 each and donate the £500 to the fund. Unfortunately the terms of their operation forbade them from doing anything 'commercial', which this would be, so they couldn't let me do it.

Could we do something similar to raise funds for the Forum, though? Produce postcards, say 500 per 'edition', and maybe produce one a year, so people can collect the series. May only generate £500 p.a., but maybe more, especially if we linked in regiments, so people who collect stuff to do with a regiment would want a copy of a particular one...?

Rubbish idea? Tell me now and let it never be mentioned again...

Jim

No I quite like the idea, I remember the MGC posters produced by I think it was Andrew Upton (might be mistaken) by all accounts they went down great. I wouldn't mind shelling out a quid for one, (excuse the pun it was not intended honest :lol:)

Gaz

Jim

No certainly not a rubbish idea.

Forum funding is an issue, any ideas to get round it I am sure will be welcomed.

I must admit to being a bit of a post card junkie, with more cards that I would care to count :rolleyes:

Like all good ideas it will take a lot of planing, I assume you probably have more idea of how you go about producing the card.

If the idea gets the green light, then I for one would be interested.

Regards

Peter

I am also a bit of a postcard junkie...my pin board is full of them...not exclusively Great War ones though. I think it could be a real money spinner too. Another good one could be a Great War calendar. I have hunted high and low for one but I can't seem to find any!

Lynz :lol: