Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German navy maps

deckard2005

Dear All

Can anyone recommend any sources which give a nice smple explanation of the German naval map/navigation system?

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew

All the ones I have are in Lat Long, just like any other marine chart.

Their squared radio code system gets a little more complicated, but I am not aware it was used for navigation. I think they used a sextant, just like anybody else.

I think the coded squares, were just for messaging back their position, without the need for giving their co ordinates away.

I am sure though some other experts will know more than me.

Guy

Positions in German U-boat war diaries are frequently given in grid references. (An exception is the Mediterranean -- pretty much all Lat and Long or bearing and distance from a cape.) Sometimes assigned patrol areas are defined by grid reference as well. Have seen sinking locations given in grid references too.

There actually are two different grid reference schemes, one used for most of the war, and a new grid sysem adopted in 1918. These not that easy to explain -- it's much easier to understand just by looking at a map.

Most of the war: A three-part system. The largest division are numbered areas (area 7 etc.). These are subdivided in portions designated by a Greek letter (alpga, beta, gamma), and then further into a numbered quadrant. Quadrant seem to be numbered nrth to south, south to north in the next column, then north to south etc. The notation in a KTB would typically exclude the area, so you'd see something 110 Beta (would actually use the Greek letter).

The 1918 grid system: Large areas destinated by letter. These zones were subdivied into cells designated by a number.

Best wishes,

Michael

Here are two examples

This one showing the numbered squares, and

incidentally the location of the surrender position at Harwich in 1918

On the sides of the chart are Lat Longs.

Guy

post-12226-1188213572.jpg