Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial enlistment

cliff brown

Can someone tell me the age that a boy was allowed to join the TF before WW1 as a drummer or buglar?

Hello Cliff

Based on information that I have from research on individuals who joined as bandboys/drummers in the regulars and Territorial Force, the minimum age was fourteen.

Cliff,

Many TF units had directly affiliated cadet sections. The 1/8th R Warwicks recruited a large number of boys from the scouts. Apparently, before the Great War, there was a schism in the scout movement between those who believed it to be a 'military' movement and those who did not. In this case a whole group voted with their feet.

It may be a coincidence, but this unit enjoyed good enlistment levels prior to the war.

In addition, I have found some photos in the IWM, of the return of the cadre to Birmingham in 1919 and there are some extremely young drummer boys (under 10 in my opinion) as part of the colour party.

Rob

"In addition, I have found some photos in the IWM, of the return of the cadre to Birmingham in 1919 and there are some extremely young drummer boys (under 10 in my opinion) as part of the colour party."

Hi Rob

I have seen a copy of the photo you mention in Malcolm Brown's book about the Somme (is it amongst Colonel Ludlow's papers?)

The young lads look to me as if they were cadets rather than members of the Territorial Force.