Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Lowther Range & SS City of Birmingham

majorsam

I am researching the following seaman.

Quartermaster Stephen Sherwin, of Flint, Flintshire, whilst serving on the s.s. “City of Birmingham,” was washed overboard and drowned from the steamer during heavy weather on 3rd June 1916. He had previously served on the s.s. Lowther Range.

Any information on his service and the ships he sailed on would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Peter

SS CITY OF BIRMINGHAM

Hall Line vessel of 7498 Tons built in 1911 used as a Troopship from 1914 until sunk on 27th November, 1916, by a German Submarine in the Mediterranean. Cadets N. Hugh-Jones, R.V. Fox, and N.H. Bucknall, , acted with great gallantry and succeeded in saving three lives for which they all received the Royal Humane Society Bronze Medal.

SS LOWTHER RANGE

Neptune Steam Navigation Co/ vessel of 3792 tons built in 1906. Torpedoed and sunk off South Stack Rock in 1918.

Dave

Hello Peter,

On 20th April 1918 the defensively armed SS Lowther Range, built 1906, 3,926 grt, was torpedoed and sunk in 54.30N, 05.11W by U 91, 20 miles WxN½N from South Stack Rock, carrying Iron ore from Cartagena to Clyde, owned by Furness, Withy & Co Ltd of London, managed by Neptune Steam Navigation Co Ltd. No lives lost.

On 27th November 1916 the defensively armed SS City of Birmingham, Liner, built 1911, 7,498 grt, was torpedoed and sunk in 36.10N, 16,00E by U 32, 90 miles SE from Malta, Mediterrranean Sea, carrying Passengers from Liverpool to Karachi, owned by Ellerman Lines Ltd of Liverpool, managed by Hall Line Ltd. 4 lives were lost.

Interestingly, your man is not listed on the THM or in CWGC.

Best wishes

David

not listed on the THM or in CWGC.

Another example of how badly the Mercahnt Marine were treated; his death would not have been regarded as war related, so he is not commemorated.

Only 2 casualties are listed on the Tower Hill Memorial for the City of Birmingham for 27 Nov 1916

BOOTH E G ERNEST GUY Barman Mercantile Marine S.S. "City of Birmingham" (Liverpool) 27-Nov-16 25 Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine Son of Albert and Mary Ellen Booth; husband of Lilian Booth (nee Ryley), of 225A, Kensington, Liverpool. Born at Liverpool.

KERR W J WILLIAM JAMES Ship's Surgeon Mercantile Marine S.S. "City of Birmingham" (Liverpool) 27-Nov-16 53 Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine Son of the late James Knox Kerr; husband of Ethel French Kerr (nee Storey), of 12, Carlingford Rd., Hampstead, London, N.W. Born at Dumbarton, Scotland.

Chris, I don't think it is significant that only two MM names are on the THM, because the City of Birmingham was carrying passengers.

Best wishes

David

David

my thoughts as well - would be nice to track down the other 2

Chris

both found on CWGC

SS BIRMINGHAM 27-11-1916

ABDUL GHANI SECOND TINDAL

ALE ALI FIREMAN

both on the BOMBAY MEMORIAL .TONY

Tony

I should have thought of Indian Crew - thanks

Chris

hi chris, easy done i leave the nationality blank when searching for merchant ships crews on CWGC the civilian can also turn up 5671 ? 0n CWGC 1914-1919.I CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING ON STEPHEN SHERWIN [sAD] TONY

Hello All

Sorry for the delay in responding but I have just got back from Kew after a week researching at the archives.

And what an amazing place it is too.

I could find nothing on Stephen Sherwin. It is indeed very sad. The details I have on him were taken from the local newspaper of the time.

I appreciate all the info.

Many thanks

Peter