Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Recruit

majorsam

I am researching Articifer Engineer William Arthur Evans, no. M/749, who died on 1st May 1915. He was one of the victims of the Destroyer “Recruit” which was sunk by a submarine in the neighbourhood of the Galloper and North Hinder Lightships.

He was a native of Flint, Flintshire and resided with his wife and family at Dover. His father was Captain W Evans, a Trinity House pilot, and well known navigator, who had been for some time employed in bringing vessels from different Ports for Government purposes.

Any information on the naval career of this man and his father would be gatefully appreciated.

Also a photo of the "Recruit" would be useful too.

Regards

Peter

hi peter, little info,

RECRUIT, 1st May 1915, southern North Sea, near Galloper Light Vessel off the Thames Estuary, SE England - torpedoed, probably by German "U.6" or "UB.6". "Recruit" and sister-ship "Brazen" were on patrol off Galloper when "Recruit" was torpedoed by "U.6" of the newly formed Flanders Flotilla based at Zeebrugge, Belgium. She was cut in two and sank around 11.20hrs. "Brazen" attacked the U-boat without success. Some 35 men were lost, but a Dutch steamship saved four officers and twenty two ratings. Sources vary on the identity of the attacker and include "U.6", "U.66", "UB.6" and "UB.16".

i have traced 31 crew on cwgc one or two petty officers 6 ab seamen,the rest mostly stokers,

would you like me to post them on this forum or private pm . regards tony

Hello Peter,

HMS Recruit was torpedoed by UB 6, 30 miles SW from Galloper Lightship, North Sea. A total of 39 crew died. M 749 was a Chatham number.

Best wishes

David

Thank you gentleman.

Charles - The photo of the Recruit on that website was mined and sunk on 9th August 1917 so can't be the one I'm looking for as mine was sunk in May 1915.

Tony - Would you PM me with those names please?

Regards

Peter

hi peter,try this one. tony

post-16856-1188123303.jpg