Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J A Hodgson

Guest Paul I Marshall

Guest Paul I Marshall

I'm looking for more information regarding the death of my Great Grandfather on 2 April 1918 during the Spring German Offensive. I have details of the memorial at Pozieres, but I want to know more about him and his colleagues during that 'bloody' period.

I know he was a Private in the Bedfordshire Regiment and that he died aged 41 (quite old for a soldier).

Any suitable leads would be appreciated

Paul,

Do you know what Battalion your great grandfather was in? I take it you have checked all the usual avenues, like 'Soldiers Died' & the CWGC?

My great uncle, William George Swain, was in the 2nd Bn Bedfordshire Regt and was killed on the 21st March 1918.

I'll have a look through what little info I have and see if there is anything for you.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Paul.

James Auberon Hodgson, Pte. 31063., 7th. Bn. The Bedfordshire Regt.,

54th. Bde, 18th. Div, III, Corps, V Army.

Killed in Action 2/4/1918 in France & Flanders.

March 1918 was the start of the The First Battles of the Somme [spring Offensive]. On 2/4/18, on the Scarpe river the British repulse an attack, further South, Ayette is captured. There was local fighting between Moreuil and Lassigny although in general the fighting had died down.

Arthur

• 4 weeks later...

Paul

The 7th Battalion Beds Rgt. was moved from St Aubin to Bouves (south of Amiens) by French 'busses (along with the rest of the 54th Brigade). This took all of the 30th March due to detours. It is recorded in the Brigade history that several French drivers fell asleep at the wheel and drove into trees! The following day the Brigade was moved to Gentelles. The first task was to hold the high ground between Hangard Village (in French hands) and Hangard Wood (53rd Brigade). The 6th Northants was first in the line. They were relieved by 3 Coys of the 7th Beds on the evening of April 1st 1918. They were again relieved 24 hours later by the 6th Northants. Your Gt Grandfather was killed while they were holding the line for this short period. The troops were only protected by slit trenches and it was very wet. The Germans shelled frequently and he was probably killed as a result of this shell fire.

John.

Guest pimarshall

John,

Many thanks for the information regarding the Bedfordshire Regiment. Have you published your data on the Internet? I would be very much interested to see you work and see how you would use any photos that I may have. I'm sure I could dig a photo out of my Gt Grandfather.

Many thanks again.

Paul

I have replied by email, but if anyone else has a family member who served in the 7th Beds, I can probably give some extra info to them.

John.