Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Black headstones

David Seymour

I came across some black CWGC headstones in Swanage Cemetery the other day. Quite a surprise as I have never seen such before. There were also a couple of standard white ones. Can anyone explain the black ones?

Grateful as always for any help.

Best wishes,

David

Jon,

Thanks for putting me on to that thread.

Strange that Portland stone was not used in Swanage - given its proximity to the quarries.

Best wishes,

David

Perhaps a request from the family? Not sure if relatives had any say in which type of stone was used though...

cheers, Jon :D

Hi

In staffordshire there are two colours Grey WW1 and White WW2, this may on the same line as your black one. In Gloucestershire, Derbyshire they are all white

regards

Alf

That's interesting, Alf. Everything I've seen in Dorset so far has been standard white with the black ones only appearing in Swanage.

Best wishes,

David

The Naval Section in Woodlands Cemetery, Gillingham has many dark grey/black slate CWGC headstones. There are some earlier burials with what appears to have been the standard pre-CWGC naval headstone and these seem to be standard grey/black slate. One of the Frittenden men I am researching has one of these headstones and he died in October 1916.

post-22884-1188246562.jpg

Most of the CWGC gravestones in Dyce Cemetery near where I live in Aberdeen are of granite - and very fine they look too! I assume these are made from the local Rubislaw Granite, though I'm not certain.

cheers

Steve

Steve,

Could be Dyce Granite :D .

Instead of branching off to the Cemetery keep on straight up Tyrebagger and you'll find the Quarry.

George

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have just been on holiday in the Isles of Scilly. When looking around some of the Island churches, I noticed that there were some headstones made of Black Slate, not the normal white Portland stone.

These were WW1, the WW2 ones were in white portland stones.

Does any one know the reason why theses where in Black Slate, the designs of the unit badges and inscription are the same as the portland stone types

Many Thanks

Billy Smith

Probably because it is the local stone. Here is Wales there are very many in grey slate.

We only think of Portland Stone as 'normal' because we see so much of it in the UK and on the Western Front but there are about forty different stones which have been used over the years and in different locations. Even the more common white headstones are not all Portland - some being Hopton Wood or Botticino Limestone. Slate is not unusual in the UK as is not various types of granite.

I seem to recall a reddish stone used in some headstones in France. Corsenside stone is it ? There is a well known Manchester Regiment shot-at-dawn headstone in this material

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The black Welsh slate ones can be a real pain to photograph.  I visited one churchyard every day for nearly a week before I manage to get reasonable lighting conditions.

There are these non-standard slate ones.

I was going to paste my pictures from FLICKR but thanks to their "improvements in security I cannot access my account!

PS Have other IWM WMR volunteers lost access to SHAREFILE?