Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hindenburg Line

Guest newworldmember

Guest newworldmember

I've noticed recently that some well established British military authors differ from each other regarding the date the Hindenburg Line was breached in 1918.

These authors include Martin Gilbert, Martin Middlebrook, Barrie Pitt and quite a few lesser lights. As for the 'correct date' on many websites, it also varies to some extent.

I tend to believe the date was 29 September when the line was broken at several points by British, Australian and French forces.

I'll be grateful to any members who either agree with me or can give conclusive evidence that the line was broken at some other time.

Many thanks!

Cory Kilvert

:unsure:

FWIIW, I would suggest that it was first breached at 3pm on the afternoon of the 29th September, when the village of Magny-la-Fosse was captured by 46th (North Midland) Division. Taking a slightly different view, you could ask 'when was the breach sufficiently dangerous that the Germans were compelled to retreat north?'. Then I think you have to shift the date back into October.

The Australian and American effort did not break the Line until the 5th October, when they finally breached the Beaurevoir Line.

post-4-1073660131.jpg