Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Allerdyce 1/1 Welsh (Carn) RGA

Hywyn

I need a fresh pair of eyes with this one.

Next to the main Memorial at Bangor, North Wales is a Memorial to the 1/1 Welsh (Carn) RGA. I have identified all but one of the 37 WW1 names contained thereon.

The elusive one is shown as

ALLERDYCE Gunr

The names are placed in 'dates died' order. Either side of him are the dates 18/9/17 and 27/10/17.

I have tried to identify him by the usual routes outlined in the title but to no avail.No doubt I have missed something so any help would be gratefully accepted.

Having recently subscribed to Ancestry I was disappointed to find that the Overseas Index was not included (unless I'm missing something). So if anyone has access to it I would appreciate a search.

Hywyn

Hywyn

I found in the Overseas Index ALLARDICE, THomas S, Gnr, RGA, 195832, died 1918.

Regards

Jimmy

Hywyn,

a quick check of CWGC shows that Jimmy's casualty was indeed in the 1/1st Welsh (Heavy) Battery RGA. His next of kin are recorded in Holytown, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

SDGW shows Thomas Smith Allardice born Sholes, Lanark, and enlisted at Hamilton, resident Holytown. He died of wounds.

The RGA number block 195XXX doesn't seem to be a Territorial Force one, but his medal card online doesn't show another. The Welsh (Carnarvon) RGA were issued the block 310001-311000 early in 1917.

I didn't know there was an RGA memorial near the town one in Bangor...unless it hasn't been there all that long??? I knew one of the old WW1 gunners, a Menai Bridge man who was a porter at the University when I was there in the 1970s.

I have a copy of a postcard showing the Battery personnel in February 1919, with most of the names on the back.

Cofion,

LST_164

Jimmy

Thanks for that. You were obviously the fresh look I needed. Of all those on the Memorial he is about the only one not in date order!

May I ask if the Overseas Index is tucked away on Ancestry somewhere? I can't seem to find it.

LST

Thanks. I don't know how long it's been there.I'll see if I can find out. It's for both World Wars. I've taken photos, not very good ones but good enough to see names etc. I need to take better ones, ones without my shadow all over them! PM me your email if you want them.

The 36 shown on SDGW (unit check) all have numbers as per your block,with one or two pre war numbers who died prior to that allocation. However not all are on the Memorial.

Two are not on CWGC and I'm currently gathering info on them.One of these two, BQMS John Bracegirdle, was awarded a DCM.He was discharged before he died mid 1919. Is he on that photo? The other one was Staff Sgt Saddler William R Lewis who died mid 1919,after discharge.

Two others who died after the date on your photo are Dan Evans 310581 and Robert Roberts 310020.

Hywyn

Guest geoff501
May I ask if the Overseas Index is tucked away on Ancestry somewhere? I can't seem to find it.

Not as far as I know.

Its on CD and includes army, officer and navy WW1 war deaths overseas. It gives name, rank, unit, number and death index. About £30 from S&N Genealogy supplies - google should find them.

Hywyn,

the postcard photo original is amongst the collections at the Department of Documents, Imperial War Museum, London. It was amongst the papers of an RAF man who was attached to the battery to operate wireless communication between it and spotter aircraft. I just have a xerox copy.

Of the men you mention, none seem to be identified on the photo with the possible exception of Roberts. An R.?.Roberts is shown, but the first name(s) might be R.B.Roberts, Rob Roberts, R.S.Roberts or something else.

Yes please, I'd like to see any pictures of the memorial in Bangor. Will PM you with address.

Cheers,

LST_164