Some lesser known pics of CMB 33A, taken after its capture at Ostend

nr.2

NR.3

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1187714049.jpg

post-7723-1187714133.jpg

post-7723-1187714206.jpg

Cnock, do you happen to know why the stern of the CMB was smashed out so crudely (Pic 2) when it was substantially intact in Pic 3? I'm assuming that the pics are all of the same boat, although the number isn't visible in Pic 2.

There also seems to be some doubt about the fate of the crew — one source says they were drowned after abandoning the boat after it was hit by a coastal battery at Eylau, and another that they were captured after running aground. The same source (Deborah Lake's 'Zeebrugge & Ostend Raids 1918') also says that the Germans recovered a set of plans for the Z & O raids from CMB 33A and were thus forewarned that the raids were imminent.

Mick

Mick and David,

I think the Germans reconstructed the boat at the Marinewerft Ostende.

What Deborah Lake told in her book about the fate of the crew is not correct.

A crew member is buried at Coxyde Military Cem, others are buried at Dunkirk Town Cem

Regards,

Cnock

I have it in mind that Vosper-Thornycroft had a CMB displayed on the riverside at their

River Thames factory for many years. I (might imagine it) but rememebr it as being a veteran of

the Zeebrugge raid?

Ian

That pic seems to show the stern of the boat being reconstructed. Thanks for the pics, info and explanations, Cnock.

Do you know what the Germans did with the boat after they had repaired it?

Hi Mick,

I have no idea!

Regards,

Cnock

Still going from an (imperfect) memory - there was a CMB on display at IWM Duxford - a veteran of immediate post-war Baltic action. And as per my previous post, I remember one outside Thorncyroft's Thames works in the past.

Ian

Still going from an (imperfect) memory - there was a CMB on display at IWM Duxford - a veteran of immediate post-war Baltic action. And as per my previous post, I remember one outside Thorncyroft's Thames works in the past.

Ian

Could they be one and the same vessel?

I have lived not far from Thorneycroft (on the Thames at E. Molesey) for many years, and have no recollection of seeing one. I recell a midget sub though, but I don't know where that went either!

Guy

Guy,

I went fishing on the Thames with a pal who was a Royal Marine cadet. This is over 40 years ago! I remember his pointing out the CMB, it was outside the factory building which bordered the river. He mentioned the Zeebrugge raid and an RM VC. I saw it there some more times thereafter, but not since for many, many years.

I have no idea if it was actually a CMB from the raid or just a spare which Thornycroft had kept. It was not exactly 'on display' rather than stored.

Ian