Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers from Blaenau Ffestiniog

burlington

A friend of mine (I first met him whilst trudging round some muddy lane on the Somme, though why he does not join this forum beats me) has been asked to create a register and web page about those from the region who died in the war.

He has asked if there is any possiblity of purchasing the CD ROM 'Soldiers died in the Great War' second hand as the full price for a new copy is rather steep for his limited use.

Alternatively, would anyone who has this CD be prepared to do some look-ups?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

I have just looked up Blaenau Ffestiniog on the CD and there is only one soldier listed as being born there and none under 'Enlisted' or 'Residence'.

Is he doing other villages/towns in the area?

Also SDGW does not show locations for officers.

I do not trust the CD for correct spelling. I was looking up men who came from a village called Kinlet and for one the CD had it spelled Kimlet.

Martin

It may be best if your friend gave you all the names and you listed (that is as long as its not in the hundreds :blink: ) them here, I would not mind looking them up.

Annette

Quite right, Annette.

I have now found more Blaenau men. The problem is that some are listed as 'Blaenau Ffestiniog, Merioneth' and other variations of the county name. Unless you enter all the variations, you miss some names!

The best solution is to search on 'Blae*' and then sort through the results.

Guest Pete Wood

Annette is right about the spelling.

For those who have the SDGW, have a look at 267886 Pte Edward Jones 3RWF died 5.11.18 for a typical spelling error:

Born in Blaenau Festiniog (it's missing the second 'F')

The only way around this - and it will be time consuming, is to put the following in the search engine:

BL**

This will give you, of course, thousands of names with places such as Blackheath and Blackpool and Blaenau (Monmouthshire).

When, oh when, will we be able to search the CWGC database online??

Will this happen in the future, Terry D....??

RTpots

Searching on 'Blae*' as I said above is better - although still has some risk of ommissions.

Expanded searchability of the CWGC database is still on the agenda but there are problems with that which I do not wish to discuss here at the moment.

However, this would be of limited help here as there are no 'Born' or 'Resided' fields in their database. You would have to content yourself with searching the 'Additional Info' and this would only show matches of post-war n-o-k addresses - and they are far from complete. Not what is required in this case.

Guest Pete Wood

Your method (BLAE**) is much more acceptable, Terry, and less time consuming. I was just applying a 'belt-and-braces' approach - also I was writing my reply, and hadn't realised that you had already made this suggestion. I wasn't trying to 'trump' you, honest ;)

Point taken about residence details, but as you have pointed out, there are other fields that are more interesting (NoK, ship names etc). I do wish you luck getting this sorted.

Burlington, just to add to what Annette wrote, if you do post lists of names, then I'm sure the Pals won't let Annnette do all the work if there's a large number. We can parcel them up and do a batch each, I'm sure.

I don't know whether your friend has started yet, but perhaps the best way is to take the names off the war memorials and the rolls of honour in the district he's been asked to look at, and at least he will have a list to start from.

Thank you all for such a tremendous and very quick response.

I have passed everything on and hope to come back with further information.

This should encourage him to join the forum :P

One day I hope to able to be of as much help as yourselves.

Hello

For everyone who has so kindly volunteered to help, I have a spreadsheet which gives the names and details that my friend has been able to glean re. servicemen from Blaenau who fell during the War.

If, using the CD, colleagues could identify others not on this list, this would be very helpful.

Key place names to seach on for place of birth are:

Blaenau, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Ffestiniog, Llan Ffestiniog

Just to complicate matters, sometimes Ffestiniog is mis-spelt Festiniog!

Because I don't seem to be able to upload this spreadsheet to the Forum, you can download it from here.

regards

Martin

For some reason I can't fathom at the moment, not only can't I upload the spreadsheet to the Forum but also the hyperlink does not work properly neither can I right click and 'save as' the spreadsheet.

I have therefore converted the spreadsheet to an HTM page which can be accessed here.

Alternatively, if any kind volunteer would like the original spreadsheet, please email me off-fourm.

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin

I'll do all those who's nameS fall in the D & E, in other words all the Davies and Evens etc.

I'll get back with resaults as soon as possible.

Annette

Martin

Just checking is it those wrote out in red that need looking up, and if thats the case then take no notic of the post I made above.

Annette

Hi Martin

These are the ones marked in red on the list.

Gabriel, Owen Pte. 45164 2/D.L.I.

Born—Blaenau Festiniog.

Enlisted-Aldershot.

Resided-Blaenau Festiniog

K. in A 21/11/17

F. & F.

Formerly S/220542 A.S.C.

Hughes, Francis Pte. 24312 R.A.M.C.

Born—Blaenau Festiniog.

Enlisted-Winchester.

D of W 30/4/18

F. & F.

Jones, Robert Pte. 33349 1/4th (Hallamsire) (TF) York & Lancs.

Born—Festiniog.

Enlisted-Grove Park, London.

Resided-Festiniog

K. in A. 9/10/17

F. & F.

Formerly 227073 R.A.S.C.

Jones, Robert Gwyned Pte. 57571 24/Welsh Regt.

Born—Blaenau Festiniog.

Enlisted-Dolgelly.

D. of W. 21/9/18

F. & F.

Jones, Robert O. Pte. 74115 Pte. 10/Sherwood Foresters

Born—Trevor, Carnarvon.

Enlisted-Liverpool.

D. of W. 21/8/18

F. & F.

Formerly 44210 Welch Fusiliers

Owen, Arthur Vaughan Pte. 48234 R.A.M.C.

Born—Festiniog.

Enlisted-Dardiff.

Resided-Festiniog

Died 27/9/15

Home

Roberts, Robert Ellis Pte. 15/Welsh Regt.

Born—Festiniog.

Enlisted-Blaenau Festiniog.

D. of W. 21/4/18

F. & F.

Owen, Robert R. ? I found one man called Robert Richard of the 15/Welsh Regt. But he resided and was born in Trawsfynydd ?

And I could not find Thomas, W.H.T.

Hi Martin

Are you only interested in the names on the list?

I have one from my own line of research. He is a born and enlisted Ffestiniog man

Surname Davies

First name Thomas

11th Bn Cheshire Regiment

Killed in Action 15 March 1918

Arras Memorial Bay 5 and 6

Born Ffestiniog

Enlisted Ffestiniog

Formerly 228276 Monmouth Regiment

Hope this helps.

Ali

Sorry Annette

I have only just seen your postings.

The 'red' entries merely signify that the person was not RWF. I should have made all the text the same colour. Thank you for your work on those all the same.

What we want to find out was whether the list represents ALL those from Blaenau etc who fell or whether the CD gives names and details IN ADDITION to these.

Can this be done, with reason?

Regards

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to ask whether anyone with the SDGW CD has been able to identify servicemen who died, IN ADDITION to those on the list I published.

Thanks