Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wapley Camp, Yate

Richard Osgood

Hi all,

thought I'd try to pick your collective brains. I'm looking into the history of Wapley Camp in Yate. Its layout is actually marked on OS maps of 1915 and there are oral testimonies of local people as to the German inmates being used to repair roofs nearby and the suchlike. Any ideas as to sources for finding out the names/regts of those interned?

Ideally I'd like to undertake a geophysical survey of the site (and perhaps trial trenching) to see what has survived the later brickworks amd engineering factory and its state of preservation.

All thoughts appreciated!

Richard

Richard

You may already be aware but in case you aren't WW2 POW Camp No:124 was also at Wapley.

There is a plan of a typical WW2 camp on this site:

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/dixie/921/PoWs/pows.htm

Also remember that due to its location and the vaguaries of boundary changes Yate curently in South Gloucestershire may be decribed at different times as being in Somerset, Gloucestershire, Bristol & Avon.

Dave

Dave,

thanks alot for this. Indeed am aware of the probs of Yate being Bristol, Gloucester or Somerset (sometimes still Avon as well!). There is a good deal of WW1 linkage here with a former RFC base as well. The 1915 map of the camp is quite good and I think that the lower corner of the site may still survive to a level worth investigating.

See that you work in Bath and live in Bristol - I do the reverse!

all best

Richard

post-6-1073489079.jpg

Richard

Thanks for posting the map. Unfortunately my job is transferring to Portsmouth in June so rather a longer drive for me!

I wonder, given the RFC connection, if Wapley Camp is one of the unidentified photos mentioned in this thread:

http://www.ku.edu/carrie/archives/wwi-l/20...4/msg00104.html

Dave

I have looked up WAPLEY and YATE in boththe on-line catalogues for BRISTOL and GLOUCESTERSHIRE there is no mention.It might be worth o phone call to each as not all info is on line.I will attempt to do this next week.

cheers.

john..

John,

thanks alot for the research. Yate is currently in one of the Unitary Authorities arising from the break-up of Avon; South Gloucestershire. Fortunately the SMR Officer for this area, David Evans, is keen on WW1 and WW2 and thus has added the camp to the Sites and Monuments Record.

best wishes and thanks again

Richard

Image of the Camp at yate taken in 1919. The sign reads "Stray dogs found in the camp are liable to be destroyed" (!)

all best

richard

post-6-1074092937.jpg