Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tommy by Richard Holmes

salientpoints

Thought I should give this a proper topic title now chaps.

Original thread here:

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...pic=7748&st=0

(Please feel free to merge)

Ryan

Hurrah, today I have received a CD sampler 'an introduction to Tommy' by Richard Holmes.

I shall look forward to listening to it at lunchtime, apparently Richard will tell us why he was driven to write this book... feels like Christmas again! :P

If it is as good as 'Redcoat' this will be well worth the money. I bought Redcoat to read on holiday - it was half finished y the time I got off the plane! More power to Mr. Holmes and his magnificent moustache

I read Wellington - The Iron Duke and Redcoat at Christmas. Looks like another enjoyable one coming!!!

When will it be in the shops?

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, more info on previous thread as above, but it is due in May

Ryan

I have taken to liberty to convert the introduction CD into MP3 for anyone who wishes to hear it.

Just to whet the appetite! but it is typical Holmes' - fantastic!!! all we need now is a tv programme to accompany it.

You can find this MP3 file, size 6MB at:

http://www.gearing.org/salientpoints/downloads/tommy.mp3

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news!

I have gained permission to publish the audio sampler CD of Richard Holmes telling us the story behind 'Tommy' - which of course being the Prof is thoroughly engaging!

You can find the link on the homepage of my website folks! http://www.salientpoints.com

(In case anyone is technically interested it is an MP3 file 6mb and is 15mins playback)

Enjoy :)

Ryan

P.S. No tv in production at present according to my source but as Paul says... watch this space.

P.P.S. Watch this space for copies available in a free draw...they may be signed if I am extra lucky!

• 3 months later...

As promised the free draw is now online.

Feel free to try your luck mes amis B)

Ryan

"Tommy" is already in my local Sussex Stationers shop at a price of £9.99 - 50% off, I think. It must gall smaller full price book sellers when a popular new book gets this sort of treatment but good news for us chaps. But please feel free to pay £19.99 if you regret the passing of R.P.M ! That said, I had already bought a number of books today and "'er indoors" would have had apoplexy had I bought it - secret mission needed later this week !

I read Max Hasting's review in the Daily Mail - he gave it a large thumbs up but said WW1 'buffs' would find little that's new.

Thought about it and he's probably got a point ... I loved 'Redcoat' because I knew zilch about the British Army in that period. I may be harder to please in this case but I think the man's great so I'll still buy/enter competitions/hold on until the price comes down!

Des

Its worth keeping an eye on www.thebookpeople.co.uk - for example Wellington: The Iron Duke by Richard Holmes in hardback is now only £2.99! and yes it seriously galls your local independent bookshops...

Ryan

John - I am not sure if this company sells over the internet. That said, if you want a copy, I would be happy to try to obtain one for you at my local branch and mail it on. Its quite a weighty book , so I anticipate it would cost £5 or so to send it in UK, so if you have something else you could order from Amazon making your order up to £25 for free postage , that might be to your benefit.

Chaps -

Try http://www.uk.bol.com/

It's only £8.00 on there providing you purchase another book in the next 6 months. They get bookclub price deals so you should always find something you want. Plus its only £1 P&P.

I have not ordered anything for a while from here as I get mine through work but its probably worth a shot!

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Simon

Just read your Amazon review. Interesting comments about Denis Winter, have you read the thread from Nov 2003 about Death's Men (especially my comments)?

Do you think that Prof Holmes read my views and decided to write his book? :lol:

Fortunately, I won a copy of Tommy in Ryan's draw - so am now waiting with baited breath for the post.........

Regards

Andy

Could you give me a link to this thread Andy?

I've just finished 'Tommy' - loved it, but it was a bit of a monster...can't really think of what he could have cut though!!

Simon

My copy arrived today from BOL.

I must be mad; I have so much yet to read and this tome tops 600 pages.

Looks really good though from my after-dinner glimpse.

I have just finished reading this, having read "Redcoat" I was expecting something good.

I thought it was magnificent, incredibly well researched, supremely well written and thoroughly engaging. I haven't put it down for 2 days.

Having seen Prof Holmes on TV and listened to one of his lectures, it was as good as having him there in person.

One of the best WW1 books I have bought in ages, I hope, nay suggest, this should be on everyones lists of must read WW1 books.

Well done Prof Holmes and your magnificent moustache, you have triumphed yet again.

One of the best WW1 books I have bought in ages, I hope, nay suggest, this should be on everyones lists of must read WW1 books.

Well done Prof Holmes and your magnificent moustache, you have triumphed yet again.

Absolutely! and I got a signed copy from Waterstones in Aberdeen for £15.99,

doubly chuffed.

Roger. :D

Big enough and with enough scope to be used as a reference book and detailed with enough material I haven't seen to be original. And well written too.