Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mentioned in Despatches - Oak Leaves/Certificate

nhclark

I'd appreciate some definitive information on just when the issue of the bronze oak leaves emblem, and the certificate, for a "Mention in Despatches" in WW1 was approved by the King, and the date of the relevant Army Order.

I've seen various dates/years mentioned, both 1919 and 1920, and many references do not quote any dates at all and are rather vague on detail. I am now somewhat confused. What were the dates?

There was also a "closure date" for the award of the bronze oakleaf cluster, I think in 1920, and thereafter the emblem was a single leaf. What was the exact date?

Many thanks,

Noel

Noel,

King George V approved in 1919 the special certificate to be given to all persons mentioned in First World War despatches in the Services, the Indian, Dominion, and Egyptian Forces, as well as certain recognised societies and orgainisations (eg YMCA, YWCA, British Red Cross, etc), and other civilians serving with the Forces. For the Army this was announced in Army Order No 166 of May 1919.

This is an example of the certificate, my Grandfather's, signed by Winston Churchill, though interestingly it is dated before the Army Order was announced.

post-8000-1187612072.jpg

In 1920 it was decided that a multi-leaved bronze oak leaf should be worn on the ribbon of the Victory Medal, by all those entitled to that medal, to denote a First World War mention (Army Order No. 3 of January 1920)

Peter