Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Entitlement to Medals.

Bob Coulson

Just wondering if anyone can clarify what criteria were used in deciding when a British soldier was awarded a foreign medal.

For example Private T Atkins may have been awarded a Croix de Guerre but hold no other decorations.

Would be grateful for any explanations.

Bob,

Often there is little in the way of an official system. Frequently, a batch of decorations were handed to the British authorities and they decided who to award them to. In the case of the Warwicks, I discovered some of the early men to be Mentioned in Despatches (ie 1914 and 1915) were later awarded a foreign medal, frequently Russian. There were later a whole load of Italian awards, but they went to the battalions in Italy.

Sorry, that's all,

Rob

Rob

I have notice the same for the K.S.L.I., the Russian medals all seem to be for actions in 1914 and mid 1915 (April - May).

Regards

Annette

Hello Bob.

My Grandad mentioned to me that a great uncle of mine not only held the MM,but the Croix De Guerre.

It seems that his whole battalion was awarded the C-D-G in July of 1918,and this was why he was entitled to wear the ribbon.

From the research that i have done on most of the wars of the 20th century,soldiers could be awarded a foreign decoration and there be no mention of it in the records,CDG's,Silver Stars etc.

All the best.

Simon Furnell.

Simon

The fact that a unit had been awarded a Croix de Guerre did not entitle each member of it to wear the riband on his chest. It was worn by every member on the right upper arm - viz today's Devon & Dorsets who proudly wear it in recongition of the Devons at Bois de Buttes in May 1918, when their last man stand won them the collective decoration.

Charles M