Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Bestwood,WW1

devon

I am searching for information on my great uncle ship the ss bestwood, sank. May 29th. 1917, BESTWOOD Admiralty Collier. 12 miles S.W. of South Bishop. Sank after collision.

any photo would be of great help to me

i cant,s seem to get any information from National Archives on what happend

Have you looked for the Admiralty report at Kew, to find it you will probably need to use the ADM 12 indexes. Please search the forum for other threads. Here's the link to their research guide:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...?sLeafletID=380

Colliers usually didn't attract many photographers.

• 16 years later...
On 19/08/2007 at 23:57, devon said:

I am searching for information on my great uncle ship the ss bestwood, sank. May 29th. 1917, BESTWOOD Admiralty Collier. 12 miles S.W. of South Bishop. Sank after collision.

any photo would be of great help to me

i cant,s seem to get any information from National Archives on what happend

My Gt Uncke Thomas Henry Baty I think cod have been Captain that night.  I too have been unable to find out additional  info although have the name of company .

You will find details of SS Bestwood's fate and a photograph of the ship here:

https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?13731

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo correction

A total of 253 colliers were lost on Admiralty service during the Great War.

207 of these were directly through enemy action, and the remainder were due to accidental causes such as collision, grounding or foundering in bad weather.

1917 was by far the worst year for colliers with a total of 119 of them being sunk.

MB

Hi Ruth

'wrecksite' gives SS Bestwood's official number as 135288

I have found in the past that the British National archives (TNA) tend to retain the last crew list of a merchant ship lost in ww1.

i searched TNA online  and there appears to be a 1917 crew list  for a ship official number 135288 in BT99.

The record is not available on line but I have found in the past it is possible to buy a copy from TNA if you think it is worth the trouble.

hope this helps you

best wishes

ernestjames

Most accounts of the sinking say that all 16 of the crew onboard the ‘Bestwood’ perished as a result of the collision, however a letter sent to his widow by the shipping company refers to the fact that the Second Officer was the only officer saved (see attached).

Also attached, photo of Thomas Henry Baty, Master Mariner, born Sunderland 1879.

MB

IMG_2549.jpeg

IMG_2548.png

Edited by KizmeRD

Wow! Thank you so much , I appreciate  your research  so very much.

I will be able to send this to his family where his daughters in Australia  where they started a new life after  this tragic accident. 

Again Thank you Ruth

Find my past have a list of the Bestwood casualties from 1917 in the table "british armed forces and overseas deaths and burials"

there appear to be 16 in total including  two Royal Marines. this suggests that Bestwood mounted a gun for defence. 

Thank you so much, for this information. I'm totally  lost just starting to navigate  my way around

Thanx Ruth

18 hours ago, ernest james said:

i searched TNA online  and there appears to be a 1917 crew list  for a ship official number 135288 in BT99.

The record is not available on line but I have found in the past it is possible to buy a copy from TNA if you think it is worth the trouble.

1917 Crew Agreement(s) for Bestwood 135288 are to be found here….

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2480717

But a trip to Kew would be required, as not available to download.

MB

19 hours ago, ernest james said:

Hi Ruth

'wrecksite' gives SS Bestwood's official number as 135288

I have found in the past that the British National archives (TNA) tend to retain the last crew list of a merchant ship lost in ww1.

hope this helps you

best wishes

ernestjames

Dear Ernest 

Thank you so.much

Ruth

3 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

1917 Crew Agreement(s) for Bestwood 135288 are to be found here….

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2480717

But a trip to Kew would be required, as not available to download.

MB

kismeRD.  Thanks for putting up the crew agreement

Ruth

You can avoid the trip to Kew by getting a quote from TNA to copy the document. This is what i have done in the past and I thought it was good value.

Just make sure that it is the final crew list done after the sinking of the ship. It should have  details of the casualties (and the survivors).

i think you will find it interesting if you decide to go for it

best wishes

ernestjames

Dear Ernest 

Thank you for your assistance,  you have given valuable  advice.

Regards

Ruth