Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy in the Black Sea 1919-1920

august g blume

I wonder if anyone has done research on the involvement of the Royal Navy in the Black Sea during the years 1919-1920. I am trying to identify names of vessels, dates of service in the theatre and details of significant operations. Can anyone offer any assistance or lead me to sources??? Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you. agblume

Agblume, from `gongs' file ;

GREIG Alexander C RD Lt.Cdr. RNR 88X839 & 840

S.N.O. Varna R.A. Commanding Black Sea 11.11.19 Post War OBE(M)

On the handing over of the Bulgarian Motor Boats to the French, and the closing down of the British Naval Base at Varna, I have the honour to submit the name of Lt.Cdr. A,C, Greig, R.N.R., for special promotion, or for the award of a decoration, as thought most suitable by Their Lordships'.

On the signing of the Armistice with Bulgaria, Lt.Cdr. Greig, who was then in H.M.S. "Europa", volunteered for, and was appointed, to proceed to Varna and Commission three Bulgarian Torpedo Boats with British crews for service in the Black Sea. This he successfully accomplished under considerable difficulties and eventually took over the duties of Senior British Naval Officer at Varna. Varna has been, in turn, under military occupation by British, Italian and French Forces, minesweeping operations took place there at the end of last year, and Varna became a port of considerable importance to our interests. Lt.Cdr. Greig has shown throughout much ability in maintaining the work of the port, and in keeping me informed of the conditions of affairs on that part of the coast. He has shown particular tact in keeping smooth relations with the various Allied Authorities, as well as with the Bulgarians themselves, which has not always been easy, and I consider he is fully deserving of some recognition of his services.

Any good - have more such.

KOKO Sadsac