Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

where are the RNAS AC deaths recorded?

per ardua per mare per terram

Having contributed to the resurected thread on Commander Oliver Locker - Lampson

I was wondering where the pre 1918 deaths are recorded for the Royal Naval Armoured Car units?

PAPMPT

You do ask some questions !

I had not known too much about these units myself so your enquiry has caught my interest as I am in what you might call "a learning curve" as far as WW1 is concerned !

I have read the thread you mention,with all the references. It reminds me that on a Kew foray last year I came across the proposition in a file on providing and armouring cars at private expense,wondered at it and then dismissed it from my mind. There is something bizarre about graceful and expensive cars such as RR Silver Ghosts and Lanchester tourers being defiled by armour and placed into danger !

I have a short account I just read in a library book about the set-up and initial organisation,with it's subsequent transfer from ADM to WO. Nothing about casualties etc.

I did find ADM101/332 in the Kew Catalogue RN Armoured Car Division Mar-Dec 1915,there were other pieces as well if you search on Armoured cars under ADM. I then found a couple under WO95. 4406 covers HQ Light Armoured Car Brigade from 6/1917 to 10/1918,and 5044 covers Armoured car Brigade Jan-Oct 1918. There are a couple of others under WO95 too for such as the Russian theatre.

You may have seen these already,but as one of my challenges in this Forum is ZERO replies I offer this in the hope that it might help !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

I appreciate those sentaments, the cars that were given temporary armour by Samson and his 'band of pirates' included Mercedes too so at least they were neutral about which cards they exposed!

The Silver Ghost was the chassis, the coachwork was usually provided by someone else. In the case of the Admiralty orders they built directly onto modified chasses. It's a testiment to the strength of that chassis.

Thanks for the donation of more references, all gratefully received.

David

Thanks for confirming that.

Terry Reeves in the original post mentioned SDGW, which was published later. Are there any published lists for the armoured cars?

All the best

PAPMPT

per etc,

I don't know if any lists have been published, but I have details of casualties (supposedly all).

Are you looking for someone in particular?

Best wishes

David

Edit: they may be included in Cross of Sacrifice.

David

No one in particular, I was just curious.

Interested in Air Sea Land war