Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Victory

nicko576

I have a young sailor being killed on 07/07/1918, according to the CWGC he was serving on HMS Victory, was this a training unit, or was there another HMS Victory, not the famous one

Many thanks

Nick

It depends what is written HMS Victory at that time was still afloat and there were barracks of the same name. In WWI she was also the depot ship for the auxiliary Patrol. Additionally there were HMS Victory I to XI (in Roman numerals) which were various accounting sections. Is there a Roman Numeral after her name?

Do you have his register of service?

It depends what is written HMS Victory at that time was still afloat and there were barracks of the same name. In WWI she was also the depot ship for the auxiliary Patrol. Additionally there were HMS Victory I to XI (in Roman numerals) which were various accounting sections. Is there a Roman Numeral after her name?

Do you have his register of service?

Firstly sorry for the duplicate, i dont know how i have done that,

Unfortunatley i dont have any record of his service yet

thanks nick

One of them, HMS Victory VI, was known to Sarf Londoners as HMS Crystal Palace. In all 125,000 recruits did their basic training at Crystal Palace and for 9 months after the war ended it served as a demobilisation centre.

Small boat training took place on the lakes and a full scale plan of a battleship was drawn on the floor of the exhibition halls to familiarise trainees with its layout. The Lower Terrace overlooking the park became the Quarterdeck and recruits would ‘go ashore’ to visit the pubs of Sydenham. They slung their hammocks in the exhibition galleries, the Egyptian and Greek Courts became reading and writing rooms and the Alhambra Court became a 14 table billiard room. It is said that the impressionable sailors were distracted from their training by the numerous male and female nude statues (does that sound likely?) and that they added false beards and trousers to some of them (now that sounds more likely).

There is a rather dilapidated memorial in the grounds to the RNVR and RNAS men who trained here.

You can download his service register for free at the FRC & Kew, or online for £3.50. If you put in the service number you should get to the right page as all Naval numbers are unique.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

That would give you the list of ships he served on.