Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.S.Moidart

Anceas

Is there a confusion over dates regarding the S.S.Moidart?

I have found information that states that she was sunk (torpedoed) on 9th Jun 1918 by UC 77 whilst on voyage from Barry to Rouen with a cargo of coal with a loss of 15 lives.

On the CWGC website able seaman Peter Soderlund is listed as being killed on 9/6 1916 on the S.S.Moidart. Which is correct? Does anyone know?

SS MOIDART , JUST SEARCHED tower hill memoriel and found

JOHN SAMSON AGED 28 FIREMAN TRIMMER 9/6/1918

JOHN WALLACE STEWART 2ND ENGINEER 9/6/1918,

the rest of the crew will be on this memoriel i have searched 1916 up to the letter s only found

PETER SONDERLAND , regards tony

more crew,

TOM BESTMAN AGED 22 BORN SIERRA LEONE ALBERT BUBBINS AGED 15

WILLIAM DREVER AGED 34 1/ST MATE

ROBERT DUNN AGED 54 1/ST ENGINEER

THOMAS LEE AGED 38 1/ST ENGINEER BORN USA

ANDRE MARIN AB SEAMAN AGED 33 BORN ROMANIA

WILLIAM McGURDY AGED 52 DONKEYMAN [ SHIP SPELT SS MOLDART ] LEITH

JAMES NEEDHAM AGED 27 STEWARD. [sHIP SPELT SS MOLDART ] LEITH WILLIAM THOMSON AGED 29 SHIPS COOK

ALL DOD 9/6/1918

TONY.

Name: SODERLUND, PETER

Initials: P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine

Unit Text: S.S. "Moidart" (Leith)

Date of Death: 09/06/1916

Additional information: Born in Sweden.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

This is the entry on the CWGC website. So either there is a mistake on the website or on the memorial? Does anyone have any further info regarding incidents involving the Moidart, i.e. could Soderlund have been killed in some previous incident...or was he not even a crew member? I´m getting more and more confused.

HI ANCEAS i have searched CWGC and for the 9/6/1916 there is only peter soderland to be found so i think its a mistake on the date,

the s.s. MOIDART 1303 TONS DEFENSIVELY ARMED SUNK 9 JUNE 1918 7MILES SE X HALF MILE E OFF LYME REGIS

15 LIVES LOST SO ONLY 3 TO FIND. LOOK UP BRITISH MERCHANT SHIPS LOST 1916- 1917-1918

http://www.worldwar1atsea.net/WW1oMSLosses1918.htm REGARDS TONY

This really just appears to be a simple scanning mistake on the CWGC part There's no other mention of Moidart in British Vessels Lost at Sea 1914-1918 which includes a ship attacked section.

Best wishes,

Michael

Assistant Steward ALBERT BUBBINS

S.S. "Moidart" (Leith), Mercantile Marine

who died age 15

on 09 June 1918

Son of Samuel Bubbins, of 74, Graving Dock St., Barry Dock, Glam, and the late Mary Ann Bubbins (nee Jones). Born at Barry.

Kath.

found one more two to find.

YAHYA BAQIR FIREMAN TRIMMER

INDIAN

BOMBAY WAR MEMORIAL

any one know the number of crew members ? no skipper found on cwgc under merchant navy no wireless operator, so could they have been RNR. tony-

Moidart was defensely armed, so probably two RN/RNR etc. gunners would have been on board. I would not take it that her entire crew was killed when she was torpedoed and sunk. More information on the sinking would be at the TNA in ADM 137/4018.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hello Ances,

There are 13 names on the Tower Hill Memorial. 12 have date of death as 09-Jun-18, only Soderlund is listed as 09-Jun-16; an obvious error.

1 navy man also died:

JOHN, JOHN, L/SEAMAN, RNVR, WALES Z 3430, MOIDART, H.M. Transport (hired), 09-Jun-18, SHIP LOSS.

So it appears that BVLAS is wrong in listing 15 victims; unless someone has been missed.

Best wishes

David

David,

13 on Tower Hill plus YAHYA BAQIR on the Bombay War Memorial plus John John RNVR would be 15.

Michael

i think we are missing one

TOWER HILL

P S0DERLAND

W DREVER

J SAMSON

J WALLACE

T BESTMAN

A BUBBINS

R DUNN

T LEE

A MARIN

W McGURDY

J NEEDHAM

W THOMSON ALL MN JOHN JOHN RNVR = 13

YAHYA BAQIR BOMBAY MEMORIAL = 14

tony.

not to confuse matters , JOHN JOHN IS ON PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL i can not find him on tower hill still missing one. tony

Would I be correct in thinking that Tower Hill only lists Merchant Seamen who were lost. If they were Royal Navy then they would be on the appropriate naval memorial -Chatham , Plymouth, etc?

Ian

[hi ian, as far as i know yes, the fishing fleet, mercantile marines , AND merchant navy,

a little add on regarding crew of the S S. MOIDART TOM BESTMAN AGED 22 FIREMAN TRIMMER MERCANTILE MARINE BORN SIERRA LEONE DIED 9-6-1918 S S CENTO TOM BESTMAN AGED 30 FIREMAN MERCANTILE MARINE BORN SIERRA LEONE DIED 4-6-1918 ? TONY

Hello Anceas, to summarise the casualty situation:

On THM 13

On BWM 1

Navy 1

Total 15

My apologies for not looking at the Bombay list.

Best wishes

David

HI ANCEAS, THE LAST ONE FROM TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

THOMAS DONALSON GREASER AGED 39 SHIPS NAME SPELT S S MOLDART AGAIN

REGARDS TONY