Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.V.Florence Muspratt (Chester)

Anceas

On the 5 September 1917 the sailing vessel Florence Muspratt was captured by a submarine 10 miles North from Sept Iles, sunk by gunfire and one of her crew was killed. He was August Leonard Johansson, age 29, a Swedish sailor.

Does anyone know where I can find more information about this?

Anceas,

The submarine was the Flanders-based UC 50. There should be a statement/report about the sinking in ADM 137/4000 Enemy submarines: particulars of attacks on merchant vessels in home waters 1917 Sept.1-Sept.15. UC 50's KTB also still exists, but the description of these sorts of actions is usually pretty terse.

Best wishes,

Michael

ADM 137/4000 Enemy submarines: particulars of attacks on merchant vessels in home waters 1917 Sept.1-Sept.15.

Thanks for your answer Michael...but I´m afraid this is Greek to me...can you explain?

The master or senior surviving officer of merchant ships and fishing vessels sunk, damaged or even jus attacked by war cause had to file a statement about the action. These are held at The National Archives. ADM 137/4000 is the reference to the file covering the date Florence Muspratt was lost.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hello Anceas, from the THM:

JOHANSSON, A L, AUGUST LENNARD, Mate, Mercantile Marine, Florence Muspratt (Chester) S.V., 05-Sep-17, 29, Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine. Son of Karl Johan Johansson and Kristina Johansson (nee Nilsson). Born in Sweden.

Best wishes

David

Thanks for clearing that up Michael...wish I could visit the National Archives, but since I´m in Sweden it makes things difficult.

David...I have found A.L Johansson in Swedish records. He was born in 1888 in Teda parish, Sweden as August Leonard Johansson; son of farm labourer Karl Johan Johansson and his wife Kristina Nilsson. August Leonard was the 4th of 6 children in this very poor family.