Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

service records?

jamesbow

hi all,

looking at soldiers service records it can run into many pages,would a royal navy record be the same?.i have my fathers certificate which lists ships ,prize money, conduct etc,this is one page.i sent to fleet air arm and got back one page his signing on paper,where born age, previous military experiance .should there be more somewhere?.his marriage,illness,conduct etc.many thanks jamesbow

Hi James

You will have to check the National Archives site, but I believe a navy man received most of his papers when he was discharged, so there will be less available in Kew than for other services.

Pete

hi all,

looking at soldiers service records it can run into many pages,would a royal navy record be the same?.i have my fathers certificate which lists ships ,prize money, conduct etc,this is one page.i sent to fleet air arm and got back one page his signing on paper,where born age, previous military experiance .should there be more somewhere?.his marriage,illness,conduct etc.many thanks jamesbow

James. Your Fathers records when he left the R.N. should have been S.239 (S264) Recommendations for advancement and Conduct record sheet. S.459 Certificate of Service. and if he was in the Engineering branch S.1246A History sheet for Stoker Mechanic ratings. Plus all other pass certificates..( I know...I still have all mine.)

hi, pete and stan,thanks for help,i do have my fathers record of service sheet,and i downloaded a certificate from n.a. i also have his signing on paper from fleet air arm.this just seems (compared with army records )very little for 22 years service.i am trying to find out why he was jailed for 19 days in a civilian prison.i have sent for a estimate from the na on the cost of pages from his ship at the time hms topaze.

many thanks jamesbow. i know it was moored on the thames in london for the big fleet review,i guess there would have been many parties etc to many beers and perhaps some fisticuffs with locals ?