Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Cruiser Squadron medal

RNCVR

I am seeking information on the 2nd Cruiser Squadron medal which was awared to members of that squadron in 1908. The medal is bronze & is similar to the Queen South Africa medal with the same kind of suspension & clasps. I have attached a scan of 2 of these medals in my collection, one with 12 clasps & the other with 14, which I think was the maximum number awarded.

The scan is not all that great as I took it thru glass. The one on the left has what I think is the original ribbon, & the one on the right has a replaced ribbon (actually I used an Army of India medal ribbon as it was the closest I could get to the original).. On the reverse of the medal are named the ships in the sqdn - HMS Good Hope (later sunk at Coronel Nov 1914), Devonshire, Antrim, & Carnarvon. These ships made a tour of various ports in South Africa & South America & the clasps are named to various port cities they (presumably) stopped at or visited along the way. Below the ship names in the date 1908 & around the circumference of the medal are the words "CLOSER UNION".. On the obverse of the medal is a woman waving a handkerchief to the ships setting out to sea, with the lettering "South Africa and South America 1908", around the circumference again. The two medals I have are un named & I have seen at least three others also un named - one with no clasps, & the other two with 2 & 4 clasps. I have also seen a couple on DNW auctions in the past. One (no clasp) was awarded to an Army officer, but no details were mentioned in the writeup that accompanied his medals. Have never seen one of these medals in a Naval group, presumably it was an unofficial medal & they were not permitted to wear them with their service medals. The medal is not mentioned in Medal or Medals Yearbook, but I dont have the 2003 or 04 one so perhaps it might be in one of those vols.

Soooooo, am wondering if anyone has one of these medals with information on it in their collections, or might have seen one in the past or has a writeup on this medal & might be able to provide some background info on it, & perhaps can answer the question of why the variety of clasps??

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

post-24-1073422991.jpg

Bryan

Have you seen this:

medalcollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=52

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply - I had not seen that info as I was not aware that discussion group existed. I tried to register but was unsuccessful, so sent off a query.

It appears as if the collectors talking on that group know about as much as I do about the medal, but if I am able to get on the list I'll send off the info on the 2 medals & I have also.

Bryan

Bryan

Have you seen this:

medalcollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=52

Dave

Dave - Thanks for pointing out this forum, I signed-up today :)

Yes, I too was able to get on, apparently I had registered when the forum first started up in 02, but had forgotten about it, as I had a computer crash in Nov 02 & lost everything. There is some very good info here on medals from all periods- very interesting reading indeed.

Again thanks for mentioning this forum Dave,

Bryan