Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Storm of Steel

Terry Denham

I have been recommended to read 'Storm of Steel' by Ernst Junger to get a view from the 'other side'.

Has anyone read this and would you care to give an opinion?

A fantastic book!!! In my opinion, by far the best of all the "memoir/diary" style books to come out of the Great War. An absolute breath of fresh air!

Dave (lifelong, fully committed Junger fanatic :D )

Terry,

I believe somewhere there was a thread discussing the merits or otherwise of a "new" translation. Interestingly I have to hand a 1959 translation with a forward by Junger which he wrote in 1960. It's called orages d'acier and is in french. Junger, to judge from his forward thought it a good translation.

It is well worth reading, and I'm sure you would enjoy it. I am not entirely sure it represents the average German soldier, particularly the landstrum and other older reservists. Junger clearly believed ernestly in what he was doing and what he was fighting for. He comes over as one of a youthful generation enthusiatic for war and what it might achieve for Germany. Certainly it gives a good view of the war from the perspective of those who beecame the select stormtroopers of 1918. It is well worth reading for this alone. Junger's style is also slightly philosophical, an approach he carries further forward in "Copse 125" which covers in detail a short spell of the war spent at Copse 125. It's another volume worth trying.

I think too many of us find that there is enough "english" literature on the war for us to ignore German and French output. My list is very much as follows:

Storm Of Steel - Junger

Copse 125 - Junger

War - Ludwig Renn

The Advance from Mons - Walter Bloem

All Quiet on the Western Front - Remarque

Ma Piece (My 75) Paul Lintier

Le Feu (Under Fire) - Henri Barbusse (can't remember the english title)

Lice - Blaise Cendrars (don't let the title put you off it is excellent)

The Barbusse is often found in an unglamorous Odhams compendium volume called "Four Dramatic War Novels"

I have yet to tackle Jean Giono's "Le Grand Troupeau" because I have yet to find an english translation and my french leaves me struggling somewhat in a good solid french volume.

Perhaps continental pals could offer us other suggestions for reading (preferably in translation, please) and I am sure that David Filsell's bibiography of german personal accounts produced in translation will inspire us to read further.

Returning to the original question, Terry, I am sure you will find it a more than worthwhile read and it should not be costly to find. I found it difficult to put down at first reading.

Martin

Terry,

Just two web references, of the many, for Ernst Junger. The first is an extract from his book "Storm of Steel" which might give you an idea of its style.

http://www.cooper.edu/humanities/classes/c...3/e_junger.html

The second is a somewhat potted history of the man, but it might give you some notion of Ernst Junger's background and his ideas and motivations.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWjunger.htm

I'm just about to start a library copy of the new translation of "Storm of Steel". As others have said it does glorify War, and may not be particularly representative of the average German soldier.

Incidently, Henri Barbusse's book Le Feu has been mentioned earlier in this thread. I was lucky enough to read a early English translation (1920) of the book this Summer. Written in 1916 it must be one of the first widely read books about the Great War. Another for your list.

Chris.

Ithink extracts from ths book were used in Keegan's 'Soldiers' - will check. Keegan seems to rate him anyway

I have been taken to task!!!

Kate has just appeared with a paperback from one of our numerous shelves - it is indeed a translation of Le Grand Troupeau by Jean Giono and revels in the title "To The Slaughterhouse" (Panther 1973 - original english translation published by Peter Owen Ltd in 1969)

I must start reading.

Martin

Hi Terry,

This is definitely one of the best books I have read from a first person account. I have read reviews that say this translation is not as good as others i.e. true to the native German, but that said it is probably far more accessible in today's grammar etc.

A Previous thread at http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...t=0entry49823

I would also recommend 'The Slaughterhouse' by Jean Giono, not first person account but a French work of fiction. ISBN 0720612128

Ryan

Nils Fabiansson and Hedley Malloch have had an excellent article published in the latest Stand To! in which they try and retrace Junger's steps at Bullecourt.

Thanks for you replies - all very positive.

Looks like I shall have to add this book to the growing pile on my bedside table!

Terry there is a new translation of this classic. On the first two pages you will read mention of a railroad station at Orainville in Champagne and mention of a nearby chateau he entered. The station and steps to the chateau are still there, chateau destroyed.

Terry,

The book is a definite eye opener in the fact of the story from the other side of the Front ,so to speak.

Although Junger's view are a bit fanatical for my taste, and as I said previously-his language gets a bit "flowery" at times(possibly the author in him coming out).

I would like to read a later translation just to compare with the one I read-to see if the floweriness was translated on to him, mind.

I really must try to get hold of Walter Bloems "Advance from Mons-it's a book that has intrigued me for some time now.

Spike

• 8 months later...
Although Junger's view are a bit fanatical for my taste, and as I said previously-his language gets a bit "flowery" at times(possibly the author in him coming out).

Spike (or others) Just wondering if you could expound upon this thought for a moment. Is he like Graves in Good Bye to All That? Just curious because I am reading the book with an eye to a discussion and was curious if there were either passages or events where he takes a bit more liscense. Thanks, Andy

It's a bit "bronze gods of men and heroes deaths" ,whilst the descriptions of the Trench life would make this seem unlikely. I'm sure it's how the author saw it but as I say it didn't sit well with me.

Saying that I'm sure to get slaughtered as I've only read one version, on loan from the library, once. But that was my impression of it.

I prefer Campion Vaughans realistic stark approach and I'm just reading Frederic Manning's Her Privates We( a novel I know, but based on his soldiering).

I'd like to think my Great Grandfather, being an ex coalminer, was f***ing and c***ing and grumbling with the rest of them, even though that is not the impression we get of the Great War Era.

Sorry if this is not a good explanation but it's all I've got.

Seeing reference to the bibliography and commentary on German language Great War books which were translated into English on which I am (slowly) working Palsu may be interested to know that I have now identified 107 published between 1916 and 2003.

Work continues, I have some 20 or so to locate and read. A few seem impossible to find (list available to those who may wish to assist) and will require a trip to the London Library or the IWM in due course. I am happy to answer individual questions on the topic, but since I hope for publication (and know that the second hand trade is interested in the topic0do not want to reveal too much yet.

Re Junger, I do not think the new translation is as good as the original,. The translator, for whom I have great respect, has told me that he is no military expert and I think this shows. He is unimpressed by the original translator's German (Basil Creighton) but since Chreighton translated a number of other German accounts which read well I remain unconvinced.

Try to get the original translation, copies are fairly readily.

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the book, and thought there were a number of interesting things... just a couple of questions to start though...

a. what is a batman, he referrs to this person often, but I am not sure what role he filled.

b He broke the war into three distinct phases... the war of old fashioned armies, moving around the battlefield. We've heard this before, but what I found interesting was that he marked the Battle of the Somme as a new phase, a war of materiel.... massive armies firing massive amounts of muntion at each other. The final stage which begins in 1917 is a mechanized war. He never develops this theroy, but says this stage never fully develops.

I thought the book had great descriptions and makes a great comparison to either Robert Graves or Herbert Sulzbach.

Andy

Hello

At the risk of starting a Storm of Abuse - I have to say that I did NOT enjoy Storm of Steel. I have bought Copse 125 and it rests unread on the shelf.

I do not normally enjoy personal accounts but did buy this book in view of all the positive reviews it always gets. I have to say I was disappointed. It seemed to me to be quite scattered.

I know I am swimming against the tide here and will probably regret this post.

Regards

Guest Biplane pilot

Perhaps the finest German aero memoir remains Rudolf Stark's Wings of War, which as far as I know is out of print. Just a mention for those who may be interested.

It seemed to me to be quite scattered.

Hi,

I bought the two books yesterday, and have just got into Copse 125. Because of the location and the timing of this memoir, I am fascinated. However, I think you're right here - he does ramble, and it is scattered.

Anyhow, I shall read on and report back at a later date.

regards

doogal

I've read Junger's books, and have the old 1929 version of "TSOS." I wonder what the new addition would be like.

I've read parts of "Copse 125," but put it down after 30 pages or so, finding it just a bit much.

I have to say that I echo Spike's comments about Junger. He's a bit fanatical for me. "Iron Youth forged in the trenches," and all that. He strikes me as the type of guy who becomes very unpopular in a combat unit.

I much prefer Robert Graves, or, "The middle parts of fortune."

On the German side, "The Holocaust," by Willi Hermanns remains my favorite. "Fritz," by Fritz Nagel also ranks up there.

Ciao,

Paul

Hello

I see Storm of Steel 1994 version on e-Bay for £4.00 if anybody is interested.

Regards

Anyhow, I shall read on and report back at a later date.

Hi,

I finished Copse 125 a few days ago and have been viewing the prospect of Storm of Steel with some trepidation.

The day to day descriptions of fighting and trench life are very interesting, but the further into the book I got, the more he loaded on his homespun philosophies and "bronze gods of men and heroes deaths" (spike10764) theory of life, the more difficult it became.

Someone tell me that Storm of Steel is not the same, in spite of the title.

doogal

Hello Doogal

I finished Storm of Steel qnd did not enjoy it. I had already bought Copse 125 and now regret it as it will remain unread on my shelf.

From what you say Storm of Steel is the same stuff.

I did not mind that so much but the account seemed to be all over the place - scattered as I said in a previous posting.

I think I will donate both to somebody deserving.

Regards

Hi Dikke,

I've skimmed Storm of Steel, and I get the feeling that it might even be the easier going read of the two.

The only reason why I persevered is that I have a specific interest, as my Gt Grandfather was KIA in the area of Copse 125 about ten weeks before Ernst Junger arrived, so I was interested in his descriptive passages of the trenches and the landscape.

I think I will have a long breathing space before I tackle Storm of Steel.

All the best

doogal

doogal,

Of the two SOS, is by far the better read, just for historical interest and the descriptions. Copse 125 was just bloody terrible.

I could take Junger's views with a grain of salt in SOS, but was bitterly dissapointed by Copse 125, which I recently bought and thought to read on a long train trip--it ended up staying in the bottom of my bag after the first day :huh:.

Paul