Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hmt benton castle

calvin

hello all, can anyone tell me anything about this ship which was lost in 1916, especially how it was lost, thanks, regards, john

thanks bob for that, i appriciate the info, regards, john

John

This link. takes you to an account of a recent dive on the wreck and some photographs.

Regards

Mark

Hello John

HMT BENTON CASTLE was a Swansea registered trawler of 283 TG Displacement, launched in 1914 and requisitioned in September. Armament 1x6pdr, Adm. No. 1972, Port Reg. SA.1. Mined of Dartmouth 10/11/16.

Regards John

Hello, John, re BENTON CASTLE from `Gongs file' PRO ADM 171 / ;

SMITH William J 1397WSA Skipper RNR 84Q040 H.M.T. Riskato

C-in-C Plymouth 02.07.17 Gazette

Minesweeping Operations 01.07.16 - 31.03.17 M in D

For his seamanlike and prompt manner in rendering assistance and saving life in H.M.T. Benton Castle, when that vessel was blown up. For his work in assisting at clearing a certain minefield.

KOKO Sadsac

hello all, thankyou for that info, there looks to be a mention on my grandfathers record of the benton castle and the only words i can make out are below his mid box are, received (on or an) cap---ssio--s of their lordships appriciation for services rendered on occasion of sinking of hmt benton castle, my grandfather frank baxter DA1990 was awarded a mid and in the london gazette it was for the galipolli campaign, so if this is another one or some thing else it can not have been in the gazette as the benton castle was not sunk during the galipolli campaign so i am wondering what this mention on his record is for, again any help appriciated, thanks john