Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Aircraft Losses 14th October 1914

Martin B

In the War Diary of the 10th Hussars part of the entry for 14th October 1914 reads '...shot down aircraft near Ypres ...' There is no other detail and the episode is not referred to in the Regimental history. Are there records of German aircraft losses from this early stage of the war that could be used to investigate this claim ? I've read of how troops would blaze away at any aircraft at this stage so is it possible that this was an RFC machine ?

Any help gratefully received.

Martin

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martin B @ Aug 11 2007, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've read of how troops would blaze away at any aircraft at this stage so is it possible that this was an RFC machine ?

Martin

Very true - friendly fire was a major hazard and it wasn't always accidental - it seems that there was a mistaken belief that a British aircraft circling over head would draw enemy artillery fire and they were sometimes 'encouraged' to go away!

At the same time not every aircraft reported as shot down was. An enemy aircraft diving and disappearing over the horizon was often mistaken for one crashing.

Hi,

Several civilians and British soldiers (even generals) watched the downing of a Taube of Flieger Abteilung 38 on 14/10/1918 near Ypres. The fuel tank was holed.

The crew was taken prisoner.

Regards,

Cnock

Many thanks for the super-fast response. This site never ceases to amaze me !

Cnock - do you have any more detail on this or know of where I can read an account ?

There is a book entitled "Casualties of the German Army Air Service, 1914-1919" as I recall. It would list this aircraft, if in fact it was German and shot down on this date, and give the name of the pilot along with other information about him.

I have looked at this book in an aviation book store (too expensive to buy) and found the names of the crew of the seaplane that my father shot down in 1915.

Perhaps someone with this book can do a look-up for you.

Bill

Hello,

''Casualties of the German Air Service 1914-1920'' only lists the dead or wounded.

Our men of 14/10/1914 were taken prisoner and doesn't appear in this book.

Regards,

Cnock

I have been researching CGAS for many years it's got maybe 98-99% or less of the killed ect. It has some of the WIA's, WIFA's, and POW's. According to my notes the 14 Oct 1914 downing is mentioned in the books "Fights and Flights" and "Hawker VC". Also note British troops tended to reffer to all German Aircraft as "Taubes" so they have been flying another type of aircraft.