Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ALIAS

Guest birdflightless

Guest birdflightless

Hi All,

While I was looking on the CWGC site the other day, I noticed that a few of the records had ALIAS in the regiment field. Could some one please enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

Basically (in the context of the CWGC site), it means that the name that you have seen is a "served as" name. This wasn't his real name (for a variety of reasons). He'll probably be listed also under his real name. (I think!)

Dave

Alexander Sinclair served also as Duncan.. shows as an alias...

Glad they got it right as they shot him 7th March 1915

John

I noticed that a few of the records had ALIAS in the regiment field

There are, in fact, many thousands of 'Alias' entries in the CWGC database. It is far from uncommon.

These men have both names on their headstone or inscribed on a memorial to the missing.

These men have both names on their headstone or inscribed on a memorial to the missing.

Now that is interesting..............whilst I've seen this on the Menin gate, I didn't know that this 'double name entry' occurred on headstones as well................ I have not yet had the privilege of visiting my Great Uncles grave but when I do, it will be nice to see his 'real' name & well as his 'alias'

Will

The format on headstones is usually the 'real name' in smaller letters followed by 'served as' and the the 'alias' name in the normal size and position. This is in line with the policy of remembering the casualty by the name under which they served.

The two names will only appear on the headstone if the 'alias' was known at the time of the headstone's manufacture. Otherwise it will await a replacement headstone in due course.

The two names will only appear on the headstone if the 'alias' was known at the time of the headstone's manufacture. Otherwise it will await a replacement headstone in due course.

Terry

Is there any way of determining this? (Other than actually looking at the headstone)

Will

Email the appropriate area office of the CWGC and ask. They will check for you when a visit is made to the cemetery. (Where is it by the way?).

Or you can try HQ on casualtyenq@cwgc.org

Email the appropriate area office of the CWGC and ask. They will check for you when a visit is made to the cemetery. (Where is it by the way?).

Terry........Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension. Do you know which area office this would come under?

In my own research the two most common reasons that I have come across an alias for is enlisting underage, or when trying to avoid a crime. In the latter case it is often because the man went awol and then decided to return, often serving under another name to avoid time in cells or the option that they wouldn't take him back.

What other reasons have people come across?

Rgds,

Alex.

I'm not sure about aliases in WW1, but I know that in much earlier wars people often enlisted under assumed names. That way, if they decided they didn't like it, they could go AWOL and any wanted notices etc would have the wrong name on them.

Quite a few would choose names such as their mother's maiden name and their own first name.

I've heard it's great to find a soldier from 150 - 250 years ago, and get a physical description, but I've not been that lucky yet.

That is France Area Office.

Email faoffice@cwgc.org

Terry..... Many thanks for this. I have fired an email to them asking the question.

Steve

Thanks for posting the headstone photo.

Now I know I am not talking out of my other end!!! I sometimes wonder - particularly at this time of night!

That is France Area Office.

Email  faoffice@cwgc.org

Terry..... Many thanks for this. I have fired an email to them asking the question.

Just as an update, I today received a charming email from a lady called Muriel Fillpe from this office. Rather than simply answer my question as to whether just my Great Uncles alias or both his alias & true name appeared on his headstone, Muriel asked a Sector Supervisor to photograph the headstone for me........... Muriel, the Supervisor & the CWGC in general were certainly toasted with a drink or two in my house tonight............

Here one of the five photos which they kindly organised for me