Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNR Records WW1

dahaniuk

I have looked for my Grandfathers RNR Record at Kew last year and this year. Last year the wrong named persons were on the correct michrofiche, this year it was missing altogether.

It turns out there was a mistake made when copied and the National Archives are looking into it.

Does anyone know where the originals might be, can I get a copy of this online anywhere or apply for it??

Any help apreciated as I have my Grandfather Merchant Naval Record before and after WW1, but not RNR WW1.

Regards

Jill

Hi Kath

Thank you for this information. I live in Devon and can possible visit.

Regards

Jill

The FAA museum staff were very, very helpful the last time I paid them a visit. They were full of useful advice and suggestions and went out of their way to try and help me with my research.

Well worth a visit.

Bob.

Hello Bob and Kath

I have sent an email to the Fleet Air Arm asking if they may have my Grandfathers record as he was a Petty Officer I also gave them the two letters at the start of his service number.

I hope they have sounds like a worthwhile trip.

Thank you for your information and help.

Regards

Jill

Hello Jill

What I was told by the FAA Museum research department that they prefer to receive letters.

Were you told, at Kew, about the index to the RNR other ranks service cards in BT 377/1 onwards. As enrollment was for 5 years and a different number was given on re-enrolling the same man could have more than one set of cards.

Per Mare

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob, Kath and Per Mare

I emailed the Fleet Air Arm Museum and was sent my Grandfathers RNR Service History receiving it today.

They requested a donation which I will happily send.

I couldn't visit because the research section was only open on weekdays.

Thank you all for your help.

Kindest Regards

Jill

Best Archive service from any museum in the UK...............they shame many other museums with their great understanding of the topic and enthusiasm to help the public. They should be put forward for some sort of heritage award.

Their "can do" approach makes a refreshing change from the "too busy" attitude I often encounter during my research.

Steve.