Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patrick Barry 7366 Royal Munster Fusiliers

Guest lytec

Hi all.I am new here and must say to the art of finding a soldiers details.

I have a medal in my poessesion that was issued to the above person.

I went to the National Archive place and paid to get his record card.

This only gives me very limited details.

It also has a bunch of other soldiers with same name but different reg number.

Is this the normal thing.

I really would like more info on this person.

Even some help reading the medal card details.

Reagrds Craig

Hello Craig

The Medal Cards always come as six different ones that is how they were copied together.

There are 29 Patrick Barry's on the WW1 Pension Records on Ancestry, could one of them be your Man?

There is a very good web-site run by James O'Sullivan on the Royal Munster Fusiliers if you are interested.

http://royalmunsterfusiliers.net/start.htm

I hope this helps.

Regards

Jill

Hello Craig

The 7366 service number indicates that Patrick was a pre-war regular.

Can you confirm entitlement to either the 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star and date of entry - if the former then he would have been in the 2nd Battalion, if the latter then it is likely to be the 1st.

Regards

Mel

Hi and thanks for the replies.

This is the document I downloaded.

I dont really understand it to much.Any help would be great.

"my" Patrick barry is in the top right reg number 7366.

pb.doc

He entered the war in France on 2 December 1914. He qualified for the 1914-15 Star (the cut off date for the 1914 Star being 22 November 1914) and the British War Medal and Victory Medal. The other numbers by the medal entitlements indicate the actual roll to look up at the NA for possible extra details such as his battalion.

Pure speculation, but the December date tallies with the arrival of the 16th (Irish) Division in France, so this would suggest that he was in the 8th or 9th Battalions. However, as Mel has pointed out, his number, being 'low', suggests pre-war service so he may have been a reinforcement for the 2nd Battlaion which had had a torrid time of it.

Andrew

The 16th Division arived in F&F in December 1915 so it looks as if Patrick was part of a reinforcement draft for the 2nd Battalion.

The MIC does indicate that Patrick was promoted to Serjeant before discharge. With no reference to a SWB, he may have been one of the very few that served throughout the war - highly unlikely but only the service record will supply the answer.

Regards

Mel

Craig,

Please also look at the thread on the Classic section - "The Last Absolution of the Munsters". This thread is full of info that must

apply to your man.

Meantime - not to be confused with your chap, but with same name, same regiment and battalion, but slightly higher number:

7437 Pvte Patrick Barry is on CWGC - a casualty of the 2RMF 12/11/14 - he is listed on the Menin Gate Memorial.

Ian

The surname Barry is very common in the area that the Munsters recruited from which can make a search difficult. I have the following from my collection of RMF casualty lists:-

BARRY 3/7366 P. PTE. 1 WOUNDED Sept 1915

showing him as being of the 1st Battalion and reported wounded in September 1915. Casualty reports tended to be published about a month after the event. Also, I have noticed that the 1st Munsters were joined by a draft whose numbers began with 3/ after the first landing at Gallipoli in April 1915 bearing out what others have said about new drafts. I do have a couple of other cases where a soldier who had initially been with the 2nd Battalion, was injured in the early stages of the war, and on recuperating, found himself at Gallipoli.

The only other P. Barry that I have listed is from a time when the local newspaper had ceased to publish service numbers leaving us with:-

BARRY _____ P PTE. 8 WOUNDED Feb 1916

a man of the 8th Battalion, largely recruited from Co. Limerick.

Hope this is of some help,

JPC

The 16th Division arived in F&F in December 1915 so it looks as if Patrick was part of a reinforcement draft for the 2nd Battalion.

I would agree with that Mel, however as 'our chap' arrived in December too I cannot preclude the 8th or 9th Battalions and, intruguingly, JPC has an 8th Bn suggestion too.

It depends on exactly when in Decemeber the 16th Div landed in France. If it was the 2nd he is more likley to have been 8th or 9th. If not then it is more likley he was part of a reinforcement draft.

According to Denman, the 16th Irish Division arrived at Le Harve on the 18th of December, 1915, and by the 22nd had concentrated around Bethune before being assigned to the Hulluch sector.

• 8 years later...

7366 suggests an enrolment in spring/summer of 1903. Possibly/probably in the reserves in 1914.

• 7 years later...

I am pretty sure this is my great grandad, he was already a soldier at the start of ww1, I know he was injured injury to lower leg and he definatley served in gallipoli.

More is available today for this sort of query

We  can now say

• Landed France 2 Dec 1914
  • Discharged 12 Sep 1916
  • Roll shows he served in both 1st and 2nd btn
  • no SWB
  • Pension card
  • barry1.jpg.95e0ba35aaded0088b2a2bc468d4872c.jpg

It is difficult to be sure on who he was . As has been remarked it is a common name

Having said that, the pension card gives Castle St, Dunmanway. And these details fit. I think he is probably the man in question, but cannot be 100%

Born at Castle Rd, Dunmanway

barry2.jpg.0023b2f45d06e4525e83712baf855904.jpg

and in 1911 census, the parents are still at Castle Rd, Dunmanway

barry-3-cen.jpg.7d629c1003c598c571b88866a8fe5e0f.jpg

Edited by corisande

Yes it all fits I have a marriage certificate somewhere that may verify his d.o.b I will have look.

I can confirm that my great Grandads full name was Patrick William Barry  my grandad also had the middle name William.

The Irish GRO gives the brothers of Patrick of Castle Rd, Dunmanway

I feel it unlikely that you are elated to this lot in view of the "full name" which should be on a Birth Cert.

In addition this Patrick served in France, not Gallipoli

barry-5.jpg.0838e69ab0a8f102b013af33d16c4a90.jpg

Well if there is only one payrick William Barry that served I the Royal monsters it must be him, I wasn't certain he had served in galopoli.

I have my Grandads birth certificate and his dad is Patrick William Barry and he was wounded.

• 2 months later...

Hello Craig, My father was named Patrick Barry. He served in WWII as a (2nd Battalion) Royal Scots Fusilier and the last four of his regiment number was 7366. He died at the Battle of Dunkirk in France in May 1940. 

Edited by JBarry8

On 06/02/2024 at 12:14, corisande said:
  • Landed France 2 Dec 1914
  • Discharged 12 Sep 1916
  • Roll shows he served in both 1st and 2nd btn
  • no SWB
  • Pension card
  •  

He does appear to have SWB in Fold3

Full Name
Barry, Patrick
Incident Details
Sickness. This information is obtained from cards and attestations and cannot be depended upon as the cause of discharge without reference to A.F.B.179 now at Chelsea.
Information
Particulars furnished: Cork, 15/02/1917. Badges and certificates issued: Cork 02/03/1917.
Rank Name
Private
Service Number
4/7366
Service From Date
17 Aug 1914
Service To Date
12 Sep 1916
Reason For Discharge
Paragraph 392 King's Regulations (xvi) No longer physically fit for war service.
Silver War Badge Number
War Office Ref. Number
A/191
Overseas
Yes
Service
British Army
Primary Unit
Royal Munster Fusiliers
Archive Reference
SWB/3006

George

• Admin

Craig is no longer a member here, as denoted by Guest. This thread concerns a man who enlisted and served in WW1, so unlikely to be your father.