Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surrey - drill halls extant or demolished?

Dragon

Thank you, Barbara and Charles, for information on Reigate. I have sent an email inquiry.

Charles, in the link Barbara posted, several pictures down, there is a 1927 photo (an atmospheric one). Is this the building you have in mind?

Gwyn

I see the photo - yes, there is a drill hall on that spot, as per the map. It certainly looks very similar. You will be able to get a nice then and now.

Orchard Road Kingston

I think it was demolished in the mid seventies to make way for the Kingston one way system. In fact half of Orchard Road is now gone.

Cheers

Guy

Carshalton

Looking at this website for the Carshalton Rifle Club, together with this link for a new property in The Square taken with my childhood memories from 25+ years ago, I think the drill hall must have been next to the Library. I recall a dark green building made from corrugated iron(?) set back from the road slightly. If that was it - it's gone, now replaced by these new houses..... <sigh>

Guildford

I'll have a look next time I'm in town, if nobody else does......

Charles - thank you.

Guy - thanks; I'll add that information to the database. A negative is a positive in this sort of project.

Le Treport - I followed up the links and am waiting for someone to call me back. Thank you. Information on Guildford would be great, if you have time.

Gwyn

I'm very grateful to those people who have sent information or photos off-forum. If you haven't had a proper reply, please bear with me, because I'm having a few graphics card problems and trying to resolve them by updating my drivers rather than replacing the motherboard.

Gwyn

Hedgehog - a photo would be wonderful; thank you. If it's convenient for you to take a picture, I'll let you have an email address. Re East street - it's not unusual for Kelly to make a mistake in locating a drill hall by recording its address as an adjacent road or a continuation road.

Gwyn

I have the photo's now of the Dorking Drill Hall - took a while as there were no batteries in the camera :blush: If you send me an email address I will send you the photos. Hedgehog

Hello Hedgehog

Brilliant! Thank you. I tried to send a message but it wouldn't allow it (I didn't know there was a category of member unable to use the PM system) and your email facility is disabled. I don't want to put an email address publicly on the forum, but if you click on my profile and send me an email from that, I can reply with an address for attachments.

Cheers

Gwyn

Hello Hedgehog

Brilliant! Thank you. I tried to send a message but it wouldn't allow it (I didn't know there was a category of member unable to use the PM system) and your email facility is disabled. I don't want to put an email address publicly on the forum, but if you click on my profile and send me an email from that, I can reply with an address for attachments.

Cheers

Gwyn

I'm not able to use that feature either :wacko: I will get the pictures to you!!

This could be the Comrades Club in Coulsdon, which has that kind of look and is next-door-but-one-ish to the Snooker Club.

This doesn't appear to be the DH. :(

In 1919, the Coulsdon Branch of the Comrades of the Great War (1919) Limited was formed on the present site in the centre of the village of Coulsdon…. members met in a large wooden shed which was their meeting place for some years. The wooden hut was demolished in 1933 to make way for the existing frontage of the Club.

From the Club web site: http://coulsdoncomrades.co.uk/

Dave

I'm not able to use that feature either :wacko: I will get the pictures to you!!

Ok! In my profile is a link to my own personal website, www.mightygwyn.com. Although I'm redesigning the website, there's a holding page with a picture. There's an email-me facility on there!

Gwyn :)

Dave - thanks for looking into Coulsdon. Appreciated.

Thanks, Dave. We have the information about the requisition but I hadn't seen any pictures, which are interesting to me from an architectural point of view.

Gwyn

found this link for Wimbledon.

Thank you very much for the pointer, John. I've emailed them with a successful outcome.

I also know that the drill hall in Wimbledon is no more.

Gwyn

Hello Gwyn,

good and bad news I suppose. At least you are aware of it's demise and it has helped the project along a bit more.

I will keep hunting.

Some things on the way about the Lichfield Memorial Tablet from the Drill Hall in the Guildhall. I have a picture with some data to add to it. I have also located the demoltion day of the Drill Hall in Frog Lane, April 1969 for definite.

The hall was used for local dances in the 1950s as well.

John

Thank you all for your help.

Gwyn