Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

From Mons to Vimy

Glenn

Soon to be taking a group on a small tour I have been given an itinerary that includes Mons in the morning returning to Calais via Vimy in the afternoon. Can anyone suggest a suitable lunch stop, not transport cafe, where the party can gain quick yet decent refreshment?

Regards,

Glenn

Quite an ambitious tour; I hope you are arriving early as it must be 2/3 hours to Mons from Calais, and then between 1/2 hours to Vimy from Mons. If your group is bigger than a dozen people then no cafe or restaurant would let you just turn up - they would want you to book in advance and suggest a group menu. My advice is to stop in the centre of Cambrai (which about half way between Mons and Vimy), where there is plenty of parking and lots of cafes etc. Remember lunch in France is between 12 and 2; if you try and eat outside of those times you might have a few problems.

Very grateful for your knowledge Paul, thats probably the best option, the coach party will be leaving early from Ypres in the morning, yes it will be a bit of a challenge, I agree.

Regards,

Glenn

Central Douai, equally en route, has lots of good places or a super restaurant at Carrefour not far north of the Renault factory on the Arras road.

Central Douai, equally en route, has lots of good places or a super restaurant at Carrefour not far north of the Renault factory on the Arras road.

True, but does it have good parking for coaches? This is an important consideration for any group. Cambrai has an excellent coach parking bay(s) outside the main town hall, in the main square itself. Most unlike many French towns, which shun coaches, but not the passengers of course.

If you are coming from Ypres, then allow about an hour and a half to Mons. Glad the info was of use.