Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is this ?

Patrick

It's not Messines, as the church isn't big enough and the wall in front is wrong.

It also looks more like French architecture, than Flemish - the nearest I have seen to this is Becordel church on the Somme... but that is just a guess.

They look like French soldiers in front - any idea of the source of the photo?

I agree with Paul, this church is according to me not Flanders.

Jan

The picture of the church is part of a small album with several other shots from the somme after the offensive of 1916 .

But there are also pictures from Loraine (baccarat) at Verdun in 1917,

and other pictures with Belgian soldiers in it .

But sure Paul you’re guess may be very valid .

to be continued...........

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another one , la prise d’armes (do not know how you say this in English )

Present arms. in a small village around a monument covered with French flags with officials.

Date says 1915, witch is strange, as for the monument itself,

would guess it would be a later date because of the monument.

....so what village ?

village.jpg

Becelaere is definetely out of the question.

Jan

Just another guess,but I seem to recall the church at Etavigny,in the Ourcq (1914) battle-zone looking like this one in a 1915(ish) photograph.

A thought on the village photo.

Judging by the uniforms,I would say that the date (1915) is actually correct as the soldiers are wearing Horizon Blue kepis which were typical of this period.In later photos of soldiers,even at ceremonial occasions,they always seem to be wearing the "Adrien" steel helmets.If helmets are not worn,"Bonnets de Police" (sidecap style caps) usually are.

Looking across from these soldiers,a group of dark clad soldiers can be seen (I can't work out what their headgear is from the picture,but I'll have a guess at large berets?).Could these be "Chasseurs Alpins", the famous "Blue Devils"? This could give an idea as to the location of the town,possibly one on the way towards the Vosges.

Don't forget that the French have a long military history,so not all war memorials date from the Great War! I seem to remember that certain regiments celebrate a "Crimea Day" and memorials to this war are not uncommon.Many towns (and a few villages) have memorials to the war of 1870-71,which although a defeat for the French,was always remembered with honour (and hate towards the Germans) every year on certain anniversaries.Maybe this town saw action in this war (many Great War battles were fought over ground that had been contested in 1870-71,including the Soissons,Bapaume (I actually once found part of a French chassepot bayonet near the Butte de Warlencourt from this 1871 Battle/skirmish),Verdun,the Marne area ,even down to the Vosges.

I know that this doesn't answer the question,but it may help.

Personally,I'd guess (probably wrongly!) that this town is in the Verdun/St Mihiel area.Don't ask me why,it's just a "gut feeling".

All hints and suggestions are welcome to put a name on these two pictures

sofar we have ..

Church = suggestion Etavigny = but is now ruled out see picture of Etavigny looks similar but it is'nt

etavigny.jpg

picture from following site

http://pro.wanadoo.fr/images.collection/pa...bum_marne81.htm

Village = Verdun/St.Mihiel area good suggestion is beeing researched

Thanks