Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1919 Pictures of Gallipoli

MartH

Since I've now got b/w photo's scanning better (except for breaking the spin of the book) and since an Australian Contingent are in the midst of their tour, I thought the forum might appreciate these scans from The Ranger.

Regards,

Mart

scan0017.jpg

Another

scan0022.jpg

Another

scan0023.jpg

• 1 month later...

Kim

It's a pleasure, I often re read books and look at photos after a trip.

Here's one more I hope you find interesting.

Regards

Mart

scan0024.jpg

Mart,

May I also extend my many thanks for these wonderful photographs.

To see Gallipoli as it is today, in its full colour, was the most striking aspect of my trip. Only knew it in black and white.

But in reality, it is the old black and white photographs from the time, that portrey what it was like back then.

Jeff

What I particularly loved about these photos was they indicate the exact location of 'The Apex' cemetery, which no longer exists, and which I've never before seen a photo of.

Hi

I've been trying to think of a way to respond to these kind comments.

Its a pleasure to post this photo's from The Ranger, especially since one of the cemeteries is now missing. I will check The Ranger again for more photos, and to see if there is any narrative with them.

It's interesting about the about the black and white perspective, I, too have been to Gallipoli and have re looked at my photo's, some of which, by luck are close to these, want me to post?

It does beg the question if any other regimental magazines have interesting 1919 photos?

Regards

Mart

Mart, Brown's Dip cemetery doesn't exist now either - it was merged into Lone Pine. What's particularly interesting about the photo here is that it shows both Brown's Dip cemeteries - North and South, and again, locates them in relation to each other. Thanks very much!

Hi Mart

Many thanks for posting these photos. I had a few soldiers that I've been researching originally buried in Brown's Dip so it was good to see photos of that original cemetery.

Regards

Andrew

• 2 years later...

Hello Mart,

I'd be very grateful if you would let me know if The Ranger has any photos of V Beach/Sedd-el-Bahr or The River Clyde, please?

Regards,

Philip

(p.s. I tried to send a personal message, but your mailbox is full :D )

Hi Phillip,

I've checked once, no luck, I'll check again tomorrow. I shall also empty my mailbox.

Mart

Mart,

Any idea why so many unidentifed Rangers would be buried at Brown's Dip (as per the photograph)? My understanding is that the bulk of the battalion's combat at Gallipoli was in to the north of Anzac (ie Hill 60 area) and not in the Lone Pine area. Seems a long way to transport unidentifiable bodies.

Jim

Jim & Mart,

The caption to the Brown's Dip photograph in post No.3 reads

"275 Connaught Ranger's Graves in this Cemetery; not one named"

However the above figure does not match with Westlake in his 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' where he gives the following on page 215

"Casualties during service on Gallipoli – 6 officers killed, 16 wounded. 214 other ranks killed, 35 wounded."

Is Westlake quoting the correct figures?

The Connaught Rangers do however have a connection with Brown's Dip cemetery – earlier in Westlake there is "Moved forward to gully at bottom of Shrapnel Gully 12.40 am (7th Aug 1915) then turned northwards to Russell's Top. Later moved on to Monash Gully and Quinn's Post then turned to upper part of Bridges Road. Attack on Lone Pine: 'B' Company moved forward to Brown's Dip and The Pimple 7 am. Trenches had to be cleared of dead before positions could be taken up. Remainder of Battalion attached to 3rd Australian Brigade and to Victoria Gully behind The Pimple (8th). 'B' Company rejoined the Battalion (9th)…"

In Johnstone's 'Orange Green and Khaki' there is an explanation for 'B' Company's two-day absence from the Battalion, see page 116 – "Brig. Cooper sent 5th Connaught Rangers to Victoria Gully near Anzac Cove. One company was detached to Brown's Dip on burial detail. They remained there for 48 hours."

If there is a mistake in these figures for Rangers buried at Brown's Dip, is this perhaps where the confusion arose?

best regards

Michael

PS: If Westlake's figure for the Rangers' dead is correct, then perhaps the photo caption should have read

275 unnamed graves, all buried by the Connaught Rangers

PPS: If 'B' Company provided the burial party here over two days, then surely they would have recognized some of their fellow Rangers, thereby reducing the (275?) figure for the un-named

What do you think?

Edited by michaeldr

Michael,

Thanks for that.

Westlake's figures seem to be very close to what SD show for Rangers at Gallipoli, and I suspect you are correct that the bodies initially interred at Brown's Dip were buried by the Rangers, and not actually Rangers. I presume that Westlake took his figures from the war diary.

The battalion also did not suffer heavy losses during its spell around Victoria Gully, with the heaviest losses occuring later in the month (21st and 27th/28th) at Hill 60. For example 21st Aug 1915-approximately 261 total casualties and 27th/28th-154 total casualties.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Mart,

Belated thanks for your reply of 21 October. Pinned down on other fronts in interim, I haven't had a chance to visit the forum.

Regards,

Philip