Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieutenant Indra Lal Roy

Desdichado

Does anyone have any background information on this flyer? As far as I am aware, he was the only Indian ace who flew with the RFC. I know that he was killed in action in, I believe, July 1917 but I can't find much information about his last flight. Many RFC pilots transferred in from infantry and other formations and I wonder if there were many who joined from Indian army units. Any help gratefully received. - D

Have you seen his entry in theaerodrome.com?

For a start he was killed in July 1918 not 1917. It seems his abilities were originally considered a bit marginal; whether this was due to prejudice or to the fact that there seems to have been only three month between him being accepted into the RFC and his first posting to a squadron, we will never know. He certainly seems to have been very determined.

I'm sure I've seen more info on him somewhere but can't think where. Have you tried using the search function on this forum for an old thread?

Thanks for the link. I was going from memory and that's why I got the date wrong. I'll go on one of the Indian history sites and see what I can dig up there.

I found this site the other day - looking for something else.

http://www.wewerethere.mod.uk/ww1/i_roy.html

Chris

Many thanks to all respondents ( I hope you're not being sued for divorce). The posters on here are a first-rate bunch.

Desdichado

Cross and Cockade (GB) published an article on Roy in Vol 5 issue 1 1974, also he is mentioned in the same Society's history on 40 Sqn 1916-19 by Chaz Bowyer part one was published in Vol 4 1973 issue 4, and part two in Vol 5 1974 issue 1.

Roy is also mentioned in another Forty Squadron history "Sweeping the Skies" by David Gunby.

As a matter of interest, it is always worth checking the C&C article index's on their web site for free!

I hope this helps

john_g

Thanks John,

I hadn't heard of Cross and Cockade before.