Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7TH NORTHUMBERLAND FUSILIERS SGT/DRUMMER

regtcollector

Hi all, can anybody give me any information as to who the sergeant drummer of the 7th Northumberland fusiliers, i would greatly appreciate any info as i have not been able to find him by my usual methods of research, Cheers Ian.

Not an easy one to answer this as there's a few candidates who could be in the frame. When the Battalion was embodied in August, the Imperial Service part of the battalion moved to it's War Station on the Northumberland coast.

They left behind a "7th Bn Depot" and the "7th(Reserve)Bn"(this would become the 2/7th Bn), which was made up of those too young, too old, infirm and none-I.S. men. Among those was a Sgt/Dmr Adamson. However no intiial is given to his name and I can only find two Sgt Adamsons - (1) 7/573 Sgt Stephen Adamson - (2) 7/1063 Sgt Thomas William Adamson, but nowhere can I find them being called Sgt/Dmr.

I also found a 7/1380 Dmr John J. Adamson, who I suspect is realted to one of these Sgt's, but he seems to have remained an other rank and never becomes a Sgt.

Among those members of the battalion who were serving at this time was Colour Sgt Instructor 3079 Walter John Casey, who had actually been the Drum Major of the 2nd Bn in 1904. He was due to retire from the Army, but on the outbreak of the War he was promoted Sgt Major of the 7th Bn and took them overseas, as their senior NCO. He was evenually commissioned into the H.L.I.

Graham

post-7376-1186310177.jpg

3079 Drum Major W.J. Casey as he was with the 2nd Bn in 1904.

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graham, thanks for that i have researched your names but havent come up with any definite fits yet. The photo of sergeant drummer Casey is a cracker thanks for showing me it, I absolutely love drum major photos. I will try to let you know if i find any certainties meanwhile i will continue to try to find links between the names you gave me. Cheers Ian.

• 2 years later...
post-7376-1186310177.jpg

3079 Drum Major W.J. Casey as he was with the 2nd Bn in 1904.

Graham.

Hi Graham, lost your email, and this was the only way I could think of to get in touch. Just wanted to know if you received the painting, Drum Major?....hope it didn't get lost in the Xmas mail! Regards, Pat.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ltcdixon

I appreciate much of the info furnished above. Drum Major W.J. Casey was my grandfather. Living in the USA has made research somewhat difficult, so every little bit helps.

Lt. Col. Walter J Dixon, USAF Retired

I appreciate much of the info furnished above. Drum Major W.J. Casey was my grandfather. Living in the USA has made research somewhat difficult, so every little bit helps.

Lt. Col. Walter J Dixon, USAF Retired

Hello, I think we must be related. My father was John Casey son of Walter Casey. I Have recently completed a history file on Grandad with help from Graham Stewart on this forum. Please email me on PHaselton@gmail.com. Regards, Pat.

Hi Graham, lost your email, and this was the only way I could think of to get in touch. Just wanted to know if you received the painting, Drum Major?....hope it didn't get lost in the Xmas mail! Regards, Pat.

Pat,

Thanks ever so much for posting this - I lost all of my e.mail addresses two years ago and so when the beautiful painting turned up I had no way of letting you know. My family had disposed of the packing to see what was in it, as I live and work in Saudi Arabia and only got to see your work it weeks after it had turned up. Thank you ever so much for thinking of me when you did the original painting and I'm really pleased to have a copy in my collection.

My e.mail address is still -

graham.stewfusiliers@ntlworld.com