Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers' photos: British vs German

BottsGreys

I have noticed over the years that real photo postcards (RPPC) of British and German soldiers differ greatly in content. It seems that privately-produced images of British soldiers generally are studio portraits, unarmed and sans equipment. However, in German studio portraits the soldier is often armed and wearing his gear (particularly when he was leaving for the front). Would I be correct to assume that this was due to a difference in military regs between the two nations? Also, one sees many candid and casually-posed German RPPC outdoor views (many of which were sent home feldpost) depicting all manner of activity in the field and at the front--life in the trenches, weapons, etc., which are seldom seen in British RPPCs. As a security measure, did the British forbide cameras in the field?

Chris

Yes, cameras in the field were strictly banned for security reasons in the BEF - not that this stopped absolutely everyone, particularly officers, from using them. Niall Ferguson has an interesting section on soldiers' (especially US) field photos in The Pity of War.

Not sure about the difference in studio poses - probably something to do with the issuing of arms (done later in Britain) or the difference in military cultures, as you say. I'm sure other Pals will know...

Paul

There was a thread about this in the 'Uniforms' section; photos of British soldiers are not that uncommon.

What is rare are the sorts of common images one does see on Germans RPs; this was because the Germans had their own photographic units which put these images onto postcard to sell to the troops - we never did this over security fears. Private cameras were indeed banned, but many people obviously ignored this given the number of private photo albums one comes across.

Paul & Paul:

Thanks for your imput. I appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me.

Chris

Paul is quite correct when he mentions the Germans setting up photographic units to photograph men and sectors. I have come across several direct references to the German regiments setting up individual photography studios where the men, individually and by company, had their photos taken to be sent home. The photographers also took numerous photos of the lines, high ranking visitors, etc.

I have numerous trench scenes showing soldiers, equipment and trench works. I doubt that any of them would have had much intelligence value unless you knew the exact spot where the photo was taken, you actually capture the photo, etc.

It does make it easier to understand the German side of the war and to research specific locations by matching the dates the postcards were sent and the units they represent.

Ralph

Ralph, Paul, & Paul:

Thanks for the information. From the photographic evidence, I thought a safe assumption was that the Germans were officially more lax than the British regarding photography in the field. Now, thanks to your help, it's no longer an assumption. Very interesting about the German photographers in the field--it somewhat brings to mind the itinerent photographers which followed the Union Army around during the American Civil War.

Chris

--it somewhat brings to mind the itinerent photographers which followed the Union Army around during the American Civil War.

Chris

Your comment was about "itinerent" photographers was interesting and probably valid ... several companies, most famously the Brady organization did become camp followers ... taking photos for the tremendous newspaper market literally thirsting for pictures! Many of the photos attributed to Brady himself were actually taken by one of his several able assistants (whose names escape me know) because they were issued after being sent to the home office before release. While almost every one was "on" location, many were staged ... there are several famous ones where bodies and equipment were set up ... the best being the Confederate sharp shooter at Devil's Den ... For those interested there is an interesting Coffee Table book on Brady's Civil War stuff ... complete with text from an 1880s history of the war available ...

Technology has a way of backfiring though. Perhpas the British knew or suspected that photos of the "Reality" of war impresses the voters/people in mostly negative ways. War weariness, in someways brought on because of the increased knowledge of this "reality" almost lost the 1864 elections and thus the war ... perhaps the German populous and soldiers were likewise infected ... I don't know.

Whilst I fully accept the earlier replies there appears to be one untapped British photographic resource that rarely appears on the Forum.

These are the photographs taken whilst on rest.Normally with a board at the bottom "Somewhere in France"

The majority of the photographs on the Forum are studio ones taken shortly after issue of uniform,going to France or on leave in Blighty.

I suggest the advantage of the ones taken in France,although posed and not bearing weapons,etc give a better insight into the real life of the soldiers.Certainly as regards the various bit and pieces of unifrom they wore.

Unfortunately I do not have access to a scanner as I would post a picture of some Royal Scots out of the trenches and the phrase "Fred Karno's" somes up their attire plus, of course,extremely muddy boots.

George

Whilst I fully accept the earlier replies there appears to be one untapped British photographic resource that rarely appears on the Forum.

These are the photographs taken whilst on rest.Normally with a board at the bottom "Somewhere in France"

I suspect you mean ones like that below? They are not exactly rare, as there were many photographic studios and companies operating close to the line; Guillemont of Paris being one of the more famous of the time. While brilliant for uniform details and the occasional illustration for a book (I have used quite a few in my own), they are no-where near as good as German cards of the period, many of which are often taken on the battlefields themselves.

post-3-1073406827.jpg

Paul,

I agree they are not rare as there was a thriving business behind the line to entice soldiers to have their photographs taken.

My point is that the majority of the photographs being posted on the Forum are the ones teken in Britain when the men are in their full finery.

The photo you have posted shows the more relaxed reality of life in France.

George