Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

spring offensive 21.3.1918 Hargicourt

gittings

My grandfathers cousin 2nd Lieutenant Charles Gittings of the 2nd attached 5th Battalian East Lancashire regiment was killed somewhere between Hargicourt and Hesbecourt on the above date. I have the war diary describing the events for the 21st March for the regiment and was very lucky in July this year to visit the area and the war grave for Charles an ambition I have held for 10 years or more now since discovering him through my family history research. He was first buried at Hesbecourt and moved to Roisel around October 1918.

I would like to see a copy of the trench map for this area if there is one and wonder if anyone can help. I would love to hear any other information regarding the position of the regiment at this time ie how long a stretch on the line were they occupying. I will be going back the the National Archives at Kew to read more about the time leading up to Charles death. I have his records of service from WO339.

• 1 month later...

Hello

My father cousin was KIA close to Hargicourt / Templeux-Le-Guerard 0n 27th April 1917.

His name was Harry Smith Serjeant 2 / 6th Bn Sherwood Foresters

I have collected maps for this region both English and German, it is a German map that is the closes

in time 3rd February 1918 Feinderundung Gr Busigny Karte 2 . 1 / 25,000

There are the Imperial War Museum CD-ROM -

Trench Maps

and

Captured German Trench and Operations Maps

I have also geological maps 1 / 50,000 Which gives some idea. It must be phosphate which was

being extracted from around here.

There quarry's which were made in to strong points and there were references to them both in

April 1917 and March 1918.

Simon_c

3rd February 1918 'Feinderundung Gr Busigny Karte 2' 1 / 25,000

This is a very small part of the map, as I am unable to upload any more.

Have you looked at 'Soldiers Died in The Great War' CD-ROM as it will tell you how many Officers and other ranks were kill on any given day.

Simon_c

post-25046-1189208298.jpg

My grandfathers cousin 2nd Lieutenant Charles Gittings of the 2nd attached 5th Battalian East Lancashire regiment was killed somewhere between Hargicourt and Hesbecourt on the above date. I have the war diary describing the events for the 21st March for the regiment and was very lucky in July this year to visit the area and the war grave for Charles an ambition I have held for 10 years or more now since discovering him through my family history research. He was first buried at Hesbecourt and moved to Roisel around October 1918.

I would like to see a copy of the trench map for this area if there is one and wonder if anyone can help. I would love to hear any other information regarding the position of the regiment at this time ie how long a stretch on the line were they occupying. I will be going back the the National Archives at Kew to read more about the time leading up to Charles death. I have his records of service from WO339.

Thank you for your reply I truly appreciate your reply every little helps towards my research

Best Wishes Jane

Trench map with relief shading. 10,000 scale 62CNE4 21 Feb 1918 ROISEL

Guy

Many Thanks for this Guy I think that it is very difficult to explain to people what these areas look like unless you visit. The information is truly appreciated.

Best wishes

Jane

3rd February 1918 'Feinderundung Gr Busigny Karte 2' 1 / 25,000

This is a very small part of the map, as I am unable to upload any more.

Have you looked at 'Soldiers Died in The Great War' CD-ROM as it will tell you how many Officers and other ranks were kill on any given day.

Simon_c

Thank you for the information Simon this is very imprtant to me as a family historian I may never have met this branch of my family but they are very special.

One more question to you I intend to go to Charles Gittings grave onthe 100th anniversary of his death and although this is 11 years away wonder if because of the significance of the date ie Spring offensive what plans there might be surrounding this as regards ceremonies. If I need to book a hotel etc I want to ensure that I can get there may be there will be others interested in attending who knows.

Jane