Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mons Ribbon to Nurse E. M. Chambers

Andrew Hesketh

Nurse E. M. Chambers, of Abergele, was awarded the 'Mons Ribbon'. She was a Nurse by profession and volunteered her services early in the war - certainly prior to Jan 1915. She was serving at Bangor Military Hospital in March 1918.

A 'Mons Ribbon' - was this issued with the same criteria as the 1914 Star?

not heard of one - unless it was in reference to getting the medal ribbon prior to getting the actual medal

Hi, never heard of the mons ribbon but as she has a MIC its possible she won either the 1914 star or 15 star.The award are the same criteria for soldiers and nurses. Im sure Sue Light will have a recoerd of her.

Description Medal card of Chambers, Eleanor M

Corps Regiment No Rank

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service British Red Cross Society Nursing Sister

St Johns Nurses Nursing Sister

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Excellent, thanks chaps. Glad I wasn't alone in wondering what it was!

I am hoping that Sue drops in....

found this hopes it of help - Jennifer

The Brittish journal of nursing - Volume 53, 7th November 1914 (p362)

ST. JOHN AMBULANCE ASSOCIATION,

The following nurses have recently been sent abroad by the St. John Ambulance Association

To Dunkirk.-To the British Field Hospital :

Miss C. Mayne and Miss A. Scanlan.

Care of The Duchess of Sutherland : Miss Heron-Watson.

To Calais.-To the Baltic Exchange Hospital :

Misses G. Ryder, F. E. Wood, J. McGeorge and A. Barron. Also Missses A. C. Beverley, E. Charteris,

E. M. Chambers, M. W. Corner, M. E. D'Arcy, B. Denyer, A. Franklin, M. Erances, A. K. Harris, Moore, Peach, Stead, Thornton, G. I.Wilson, E. R. Wortabet, N. S. Worsley, G. Green, K. Waldron, and M. A. Hayes.

To Boulogne.-To be drafted into War Office Hospitals:

Misses E. Rash, N. Ritchie, E. Ritchie, C. Maclean, E. Downing, F. M. Pochin, S. G. Williams, S. Stuart,

L. H. de Gruchy, M. Frost, M. Lyal Wilson, M. M. Saville, E. Stronach,

M. E. James, I. Taylor, M. Netherwood, A. Doughty, Mahoney, M. Machoan, L. M. Browne.

Andrew

The term 'Mons Ribbon' was very common 'nurse speak' during the war, and does apply to the 1914 Star. As soon as the ribbons were issued, there are frequent references in nursing documents and articles to the 'Mons Star' and to the 'Mons Ribbon' as soon as the nurses received it. A search of the British Journal of Nursing will give some examples. Not having considered the question before, it seems surprising now that the term was not commonplace among soldiers as well.

The woman in question is Eleanor M. Chambers, who [as the previous entry indicates] went to France in November 1914 as a Nursing Sister with St. John's Ambulance Brigade, working at No.8 British Red Cross Hospital [baltic and Corn Exchange] then in Calais, and later moving to Paris Plage. Many of the trained nurses there later transferred to Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Reserve, if their qualifications met the War Office criteria, so I guess that Eleanor Chambers was one of these. Unfortunately she doesn't appear to have a QAIMNSR service file in WO399, but some were later destroyed, particularly if the women died prior to 1930, or married/moved overseas. However, her initial service with BRCS/SJAB should mean that the British Red Cross Archives will have a record of her early service.

British Journal of Nursing

British Red Cross Society Archives

Sue

Jennifer and Sue - many, many thanks for providing such wonderful extra detail.

On a slightly wider question, the receipt of the Mons Ribbon is mentioned in a newspaper cutting of March 1918. Clearly this does not prove that the ribbon was received in that month, but as reporting this fact is the reason for the brief article (there is nothing else to note in it) it does suggest strongly that the ribbon was received c. March 1918. So, was it common for the ribbons to start appearing in 1918 to both women and men?

Andrew

Just checked The Times Digital Archive. The earliest relevant references I could find are:

• An Officer's obituary on 22nd March 1918 which states that he held the 'Mons Star'.
  • An article on 27th March 1918 referring to two discharged wounded soldiers who 'hold the Mons ribbon'.

Regards

Mark

Mark - many thanks. It would appear that the ribbons/stars began appearing in early 1918 then.

Sure i read somewhere once that the Mons Star first started appearing in 1917, will see if i can find anything...........

From Wikipedia, our old friend, confirms 1917:

Mons Star

Edit: First introduced April 1917

Edited by Anthony Bagshaw

Wikipedia. Must be true then! :mellow:

Cheers Anthony.

the Ribbons were being worn in 1917[1914 Star},issue of the medal proper; announced in the previous year was begun in 1918

Not sure about April 1917? I thought the 1914 Star was instituted by Army Order AO 350 dated 24th November 1917.

How many women qualified for the clasp and roses having been under fire. Some Field ambulances and casualty clearing hospitals qualified. Did they have female nurses?

How many women qualified for the clasp and roses having been under fire. Some Field ambulances and casualty clearing hospitals qualified. Did they have female nurses?

No female nurses were attached to Field Ambulances prior to 22 November 1914. There were some in Casualty Clearing Stations, but [as far as I am aware] none that would have qualified them for the clasp. The first appointment of nurses to CCSs was on 30/10/14, and they were allocated as follows:

No.4 CCS, Poperinghe on 30/10/14

No.1 CCS, St. Omer on 1/11/14

No.3 CCS, Hazebrouck on 5/11/14

No.5 CCS, Hazebrouck on 5/11/14

No.2 CCS, Bailleul on 10/11/14

The next allocation was not until 25/11/14 [Merville] which then took them outside the qualifying dates. However, there were a handful working on Ambulance Trains who might have qualified. While the war was still being fought on the Aisne, nurses were going down on a couple of trains - the staff of one train was detained for some days at Braisne waiting to evacuate from No.4 CCS, and the staff of No.7 Ambulance Train was held at Fere en Tardenois waiting for the removal north of of No.2 CCS. I think if any nurses qualified for the clasp, it would have been these, but with three nurses per train it would not add up to more than 9-12.

Sue

Thank you all for your ideas and expertise. Although this has gone way beyond my original question this thread has been very enlighteneing for me. Feel free to take it wherever it wants to go next!

Australian Casualty Clearing Stations -

Casualty Clearing Stations

These were small hospitals generally located at a railhead or similar transportation hub in forward areas. Their job was to provide emergency treatment and to move casualties back to the stationary and general hospitals. - AANS Nurses served in these units

1st Casualty Clearing Station (Tasmania)

Formed Tasmania August 1914. Departed Melbourne Kyarra November 1914.

Egypt, Gallipoli, Western Front

2nd Casualty Clearing Station

Formed Melbourne 8 October 1915. Departed Melbourne October 1915. Closed 28 February 1919.

Egypt, Western Front

3rd Casualty Clearing Station

Formed 17 March 1916. Departed Melbourne Medic 20 May 1916 and Sydney Borda 5 June 1916. Closed 26 April 1919.

Egypt, Western Front

ref: Austrlain WW1 Medical Units - http://www.unsw.adfa.edu.au/~rmallett/Medical.html

Today I came across a copy of a long letter written from the front by Nurse Chambers in 1915 which decscribes some of her experiences. If anyone is interested I'll scan and post it.