Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

India cemeteries - New Delhi - I'll be there Feb.

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

I will be visiting New Delhi, India, in early February. I am happy to take high resolution digital photos while I am there of any cemeteries or memorials.

It's my first time there, so I am not too sure of the names (or locations!!) of the cemeteries. But the CWGC gives the following:

DELHI / KARACHI 1939-1945 WAR MEMORIALS

DELHI 1914-1918 WAR MEMORIAL

DELHI MEMORIAL (INDIA GATE)

DELHI WAR CEMETERY

NEW DELHI JEWISH CEMETERY

Requests by the 5th February 2004, please.

RTpots

There are no names inscribed upon the Delhi 1914-1918 War Memorial and the Delhi 1939-1945 War Memorial. However, the names are inscribed in Hindi and Urdu on a Roll of Honour (book) within the memorials.

Thanks for the generous offer RT, and I hope you don't mind a request for a second war casualty, one of my Sandbach men!

Could I have a photo of the headstone of George Leese 947317 Gunner 136 Field Regt RA d. 30/08/44 Grave 2 D 2 in Delhi War Cemetery, please? And a general view of the cemetery please?

Have a great trip - I read about the memorial moulds - putting two and two together and making seven, will we be hearing of the "Delhi Durbar" Teapot? :D

Thanks for the offer - any photos of ANY Royal Sussex Regiment graves or names from either World War would be of interest.

Let me know any costs involved.

I would like to take you up on your kind offer. Could you please photograph the following if you have time.

Delhi War Cemetery: Martin J 20575 1st Bn Oxford and Bucks. Ref 9B3

Delhi Memorial: Page: GF, Shipman: RT & Thorpe: FG all Oxford & Bucks

Many Thanks

Lesley

Pete (RT),

Thanks for you kind offer. I do have 3 Romsey guys that I would like to get photo's of their headstone or memorial inscriptions:

Corporal 855206, Frederick William ARCHER

1089th Battery, 216th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

KIA 14th May 1919

Face 1. Delhi Memorial (India Gate), India

Private 97883, Arthur PETTY

Aden Ambulance Train, Royal Army Medical Corps

Died 2nd May 1919

Face 23. Delhi Memorial (India Gate), India

Private 356007, Cornelius Frank SMITH

1st/9th Hampshire Regiment

Died 3rd November 1918

Grave reference 9. A. 11. Delhi War Cemetery, India

I may be pushing it a bit but any photos of Hants Regt WWI guys you come across on your travels would also be great.

Let me know of any costs involved.

Marc

Hi RTpots

Can I take you up on your very kind offer. I wonder if you would be good enough to get snaps of the inscriptions of these two Cheltonians who are commemorated on the Delhi Memorial (India Gate), both on Face 23:

Pte Arthur Henry Burrows, M2/136050, Army Service Corps, died 21 October 1918

and

Captain Piercey John McQueen Mottram, Indian Army Reserve of Officers, attached 109th Indian Infantry, died 6 October 1919

Many thanks, and have a good trip.

Regards

Jimmy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi RTpots

It would be really apprecitated if you could get :

Gunner Edward Albert Rogers RFA on Face 1 of India gate (Delhi) memorial and CSM JH Rogers Royal Warks Regt also on Face 1. These two are actually buried in Nowsherea cemetery (somewhere in India?).

Good luck with the trip

Regards

JJ

Guest Pete Wood

Thanks to that very nice chap, Richard Branson, I have just got a free upgrade on my flight to Delhi.

This means I'm now leaving this Saturday (7th February 2004), and I won't have (reliable) internet access for the 12 days I am there. So you have until Friday 6th for any last-minute photo requests......

Pete :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am in Delhi at the Delhi War Cemetery, where my good friend Naresh Kalra who is in charge of the cemetery - and has kindly allowed me to log on to the forum from his office.

The cemetery is in immaculate condition, and I heartily recommend a visit by anyone else who ventures out to Delhi.

Naresh says that if anyone wants information, he is happy to assist, on WW1 memorials in the following Commission cemeteries as follows :-

Delhi, Madras, Pune, Kolkata(Bhowanipore), Ranchi , Madras, St. Mary's etc

You can contact Naresh via the forum, as we are just about to make him a member.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Delhi.

I am sorry to say that, for all those who wanted photos of India Gate, I am unable to help. What I wasn't aware of before my trip is that, because of terrorist threats, the Indian Government has cordoned off India Gate.

No one can get closer than 200 metres, and the CWGC (India) has stated that if anyone wants a photo of an individual name, it can only be taken using a camera on a tripod fitted with a powerful telescopic lens, and a tripod - something I did not take.

I have taken photos of the other graves in Delhi War Memorial which I will send in the next 24 hours.

A bomb went off in the south of the city last week. I must say, everyone just took it in their stride.....

Anyway, this is the closest you can get to the impressive memorial - India Gate.

post-19-1077281771.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Frustrating isn't it. Thanks for trying though as the offer was much appreciated.

I once went to a CWGC cemetery in Cairo only to find it was 'Revolution day' (Did they have one?) and the cemetery was shut. Have to admit though with only a couple of hours there and three of 'my' men inside with the help of the taxi driver I climbed over the 6 ft high wall and manged to get the photographs :ph34r: !!

Regards

Jolly Jack