Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cassania or Gassania

Mideb

I wonder if anyone could help me please. One of my hobbies is collecting old postcards, particularly those from 1900 - 1950. In a bundle recently purchased I have come upon one which unfortunately the date on the postmark is difficult to read, however from the stamp and card type it would have been sent around 1914 from Portsmouth.

It is from a husband called Jack Sebborn to his wife in Southampton. Part of the message says .... but sorry to say lovie that I have got to join the Cassania I don't know if I am going today or tomorrow, but if I don't go today I will write tonight and if I do go today will write as soon as I get to ......pool. Tut tar till you hear from me again.

The message as usual is written in pencil and the name, which I think might be a ship, is difficult to read, it could be a C or a G at the beginning. The word ....pool is overprinted with the postmarking, could it have been Liverpool?

I know it is a long shot but I would love to be able to find out more about this card and this person and as with all Great War postcards I find, I would love to be able to pass them back to any family.

Thank you,

Debbie

I can find no matches for Jack or John Sebborn amongst the online RN sailor's registers.

I can find no matches for Jack or John Sebborn amongst the online RN sailor's registers.

Thank you very much for looking. I'll keep hunting.

Hello Debbie,

Is it possible that the name is Cassandra?

There was a minesweeping tawler in Admiralty service from May 1915 with this name, and it is possible that it served in the Liverpool area.

Best wishes

David

Hello Debbie,

Is it possible that the name is Cassandra?

There was a minesweeping tawler in Admiralty service from May 1915 with this name, and it is possible that it served in the Liverpool area.

Best wishes

David

Hello David,

Thank you very much, yes I think this could be the one. I will do some more research.

Best wishes,

Debbie