Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aug-Nov clasp Eligibility: Infantry units

Terry

We have covered aspects of this topic before, but I would be interested in opinions by Pals (educated guesses) on the subject of just what the odds would be of a private infantry soldier arriving in France in August of 1914 and not being eligible for the clasp to the 1914 Star.

Obviously there would be various individuals on detached duties, servants, etc., but one would think that for the poor bloody private soldier, his place would in all liklihood be in the front line dodging bullets.

I have two trios, one to the Highland Light Infantry and the other to the Coldstream Guards, in which the MIC indicates an August arrival in France, but gives no reference to issue of a clasp. We have talked before about how many soldiers who in fact qualified for the clasp simply did not apply for it for various reasons, and these two units both were on the list of battalions which earned the clasp.

The two men were not killed, and I am unsure about what records are available to track down BEF troops who suffered non-fatal wounds.

Any thoughts out there?

Have you checked the actual 1914 Star roll in WO329 - this often indicates the issue of the clasp when the MIC doesn't? I think in some cases the issue of the clasp might be on the MIC, but on the reverse, which we cannot see!