Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Richard Knight

W.P.Hide

My grandfather was in the army pre WW1 and then turned up in the Navy during the war. I have just received his record. I have had a look around the site and the ships listed are mentioned, but I gather that names and roles changed with time so have posted a photo of the ships list.

I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks,

Bill

post-23865-1185806674.jpg

Hello Bill,

Welcome to the Forum.

By the look of his rates [ranks] i.e. Trimmer, Leading Trimmer & Engineman, he was Royal Naval Reserve Trawler Section so the column of ships names in the middle are where his accounts were kept [i.e. where he was paid from].

Victory II, Portsmouth Naval Base. There was an Auxiliary Patrol base there from Aug. 1914.

King fisher, A/P Base Great Yarmouth 23/8/15 to 1/8/19.

Ceto, A/P Parent Ship Ramsgate 6/3/15 to 30/6/19.

Pembroke, Chatham Naval Base.

Egmont, Base Ship Malta Mar. 1904 to 30/6/33.

Duke, Depot Ship Port Said, Egypt 1/1/18 to 27/2/19.

Dreel Castle, A/P Base Falmouth 2/2/15 to 16/9/19.

In the left hand column amongst the names already listed above are the vessels he actually served in but I can only make out one for sure.

HT [Hired Trawler] Magnolia. There were two armed trawlers with that name. The first one became Magnolia II July 1915 & the second one became Magnolia III Aug. 1915 when the new flower class sloop HMS Magnolia entered service.

If you could post a magnified section of the left hand column then maybe we could identify his other ships.

ARABIS.

[hi bill , hms kingfisher trawler, the rest all look like bases cannot make out one or two , if you google the names you will get lots of info ,hms achilles now hms pembroke base photo hms achilles

http://campus.medway.ac.uk/library/files/history.pdf[/url]

hi bill , Faulkner class leader ,HMS broke battle of Jutland ,battle Dover strait http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/evans.htm

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishgu...y_list_1916.htm

hope this helps a little,tony

I would like to thank ARABIS and tonyblackpool for their prompt and informative replies.

I have tried to make the list of ships more readable.

Again many thanks,

Bill

post-23865-1185967887.jpg

Hello again Bill,

I can now make out a bit more from the left hand column and with the aid of "Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy" & "British Warships 1914-1919" I can confirm:-

Magnolia II. Launched 1897, 213 tons, 1 x 6pdr AA & 1 X 2pdr, Admiralty No. 1741, Port No. GY.226 [Grimsby], war service Jan. 1915 to 1919.

Port Said is also mentioned but I can`t work out the letters in front of it. Duke was a depot ship at Port Said.

HT Twenty Six. This was actually a hired drifter launched 1902, 80 tons, 1 x 6pdr AA, minesweeper, Admiralty No. 1449, Port No. YH.678 [Yarmouth], war service Apr. 1915 to 1919.

Can`t see Broke mentioned anywhere but Duke is written with a scroll to the top of the letter D, which makes it look like a B, as is the D in Dreel Castle.

ARABIS.

hi arabis and bill regarding hms broke looks like a eye check for me sorry lads. tony

Hello ARABIS and tonyblackpool,

Many thanks for the extra information, the bit before Port Said looks like 5 & 6 or maybe S & G.

It is interesting that Magnolia II was a Grimsby vessel, it is our home port, so to speak.

Regards

Bill

Hello Bill,

It could be S.N.O. Port Said, i.e. Senior Naval Officer, under whos authority their vessel would be while they were in that area.

Under that entry is Cleethorpes which is where they were before Port Said.

ARABIS.

Hello ARABIS,

After another look I am sure you are right, it is S.N.O.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Regards

Bill