Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help finding a book please

Arwen1972

My husbands family had a set of books about World War One which we would like to trace and (hopefully) purchase. The details I have are sketchy and from my husbands memory. I really hope maybe someone here can shed some light!

We think they were Reader's Digest. It was a four or five volume series. Quite big books, what I would call 'coffee table' books. We believe the title to be "Then & Now" and basically, it showed world war one as it was 1914-1918, and then photos of the places as they were when the books published some years later. We think the books were published in either the 1920's or 1930's.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

These were IIRC built up from Magazines & similar in format to the "I Was There" Magazines,There were three volumes & they do date from the 1930s

These were IIRC built up from Magazines & similar in format to the "I Was There" Magazines,There were three volumes & they do date from the 1930s

Forgive my ignorance, but what does IIRC stand for ? So, do I have the title right? I would really like to track them and get copies. Thank you so mch for your time and help :)

" Twenty Years After - the 1914-1918 Battlefields then and now" edited by Major General Ernest Swinton KBE CB published by Newnes in three volumes, Vol I, Vol II and Suplementary Volume.

Just purchased a very good condition set for £55 in Wigton two weeks ago.

Aye

Malcolm

" Twenty Years After - the 1914-1918 Battlefields then and now" edited by Major General Ernest Swinton KBE CB published by Newnes in three volumes, Vol I, Vol II and Suplementary Volume.

Just purchased a very good condition set for £55 in Wigton two weeks ago.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm! Thank you so much for that, that is exactly it! And, I can't believe you bought a set from Wigton ... thats where my grandfather was from and my great great uncle (WWI veteran) that I am currently researching. I love Wigton - I have have many happy memories of Wigton and the surrounding areas :)

Again, thank you. You have just solved a a 16yr long mystery!

I am just looking at the set I bought for £60 from Abebooks a month or so ago - they are fascinating.