Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Greys 1914

Dan Morton

A new one - hope you like it!

British Royal Scots Greys Cavalry Sergeant, 1914

Head from Michael Roberts, One hand from The Lost Battalion, Boots from Jaguar, Canteen from Model Cellar. Uniform markings are for a Sergeant of the Royal Scots Greys in France, 1914.

• M1902 service dress tunic and trousers in khaki serge

• M1905 service dress cap, badge shows the Eagle of the French 45th Line captured at Waterloo

• Rolled mackintosh cape in front of the saddle and rolled khaki greatcoat in back of the saddle

• Khaki putties wound bottom to top and blackened 'ammunition boots', with spurs

• M1902 Haversack

• Cavalry water bottle

• Cavalry mess tin

• SMLE rifle, M1908 leather rifle bucket

• 90 round M1903 leather bandoleer, five pouches in front, four in back

• M1908 sword and metal scabbard in leather cover

• Universal Pattern (UP) saddle

• Wood horse picketing peg and rope, collapsible canvas horse bucket, both strapped to the sword

This will be painted by Rod Allison from New Zealand. Rod has been painting for years and garned many awards, painting hundreds of museum quality figures. I can't wait to see what he does with the dapple grey horse!

post-4473-1185640646.jpg

Stay tuned for several more pictures in other posts.

All the best,

Dan

Dan.

I do not often comment on this thread of the Forum. I have no skills artistically, but I do know a bit about horses, his mount should be a bit more nervous, not standing square, his tail should be at least twitching nervously, the rider should be holding a tight rein pulling the horses head down, at least one fore leg off the ground, as if the rider is having a problem controlling his mount, Just looking at it from a horses point of view. the rest of the piece is brilliant!!!!

Thanks for sharing your work All the Best Rob.

Rob - Thank you! I had considered changing the horse's pose, but, frankly, I thought it was time for me to go on to another figure. This one took an extraordinary amount of time and changing the horse would have meant probably another month, possibly more.

All the best,

Dan

Dan.

No matter how the horse is standing it is a wonderfull piece of work. Now! where did my Grand Daughter put her plasticine.

Cheers Rob.

Brilliant work as ever Dan!

I'm currently converting an old Scale Link cavalry figure and horse into a trooper of the Suffolk Yeomanry. Don't know when I'll get to finish it tho - nappy changing and late sleepless nights with our youngest tends to take over!

cheers

Steve

Glad you liked it!

Enjoy the nappy-changing, Steve! They grow up all too soon!!!

My oldest son and his lovely wife just finished up a two week visit with us. :rolleyes: Our grand-daughter, Sascha - 8 months - left no time for sculpting, but I didn't mind a bit!!!

:glare: Well, alright...just a little bit. :D

All the best,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan

it is looking great.

The only changes I would make would be to shorten the reins, they should only just sit past the pommel wallets, you have allot of extra length in your ones.

The other thing is the Rifle bucket is too short needs to be longer at the bottom, and it should be flat at the bottom not rounded as you have it.

I can send you some photos if you need them?

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Jonathan

Dear Jonathan:

There is a point at which I must stop and turn over my work to a painter to work his/her magic. The model just arrived with Rod Allison in NZ for painting. I could ask Rod to shorten the reins a bit, but changing the rifle bucket...

I do my best to get the piece as accurate as possible. In this case I worked from pictures from the Armes Militaria article on RSG and several other sources. But, living in Omaha, Nebraska in the US, I don't have access to much of the "real thing". Working from pictures has its' drawbacks - sometimes I just don't see something or sometimes what I shape is incorrect. My apologies to all for errors. I'm not alone. I can point to a number in Great War figure kits, as I'm sure some of you can.

At present I'm working on my first 120mm figure that should (I HOPE!) result in a commercial kit. It is based on a 1915 photo of a youthful volunteer soldier in winter gear. More later.

All the best,

Dan

Hi Dan

I think what you have done is amazing and you are very talented.

I no what you mean by once you have the items in your hands it is easier to judge, and this is not always possible.

Now it is with the painter I wish that I had never said anything. wacko:

I cant wait to see it painted.

Regards Jonathan

No problem, Jonathan!

I'm always eager to hear any comments about my stuff. In the past I've made a number of corrections and used the ideas of several of the folks posting on this forum and others.

All the best,

Dan