Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Worcesters at Gheluvelt.

Duncan

Does anyone know if a list has been compiled of 2nd Worcesters men who were involved in the battle of Gheluvelt in October 1914? It's such a famous action that I thought someone somewhere would have done a list?

Duncan.

The Regimental Museum Trust at Norton Barracks will, I am sure. I seem to recall seeing, somewhere, details of anniversary dinners attended by the survivors after the war.

Edwin

Duncan,

I raised the same question last year - with no definate answer.

Do a search on the topic.

Hello Duncan and Edwin,

as far as I know there is NO complete list of the men who fought with the 2nd Bn. Worcesters at Gheluvelt. Having spent some months on groundwork to do such a list, I have not discovered one. Many people have tried and all given up. The mainstay of our research is a man based in Birmingham. He has collected lots of info and names, has started to cross reference lists, casualty Rolls etc.. We are very much interested in any one who can definitely put a man on our Roll of Participants. We do have the list of men who attended the 50th Anniversary Dinner in Worcester in 1964 but there was no list of the total of around 600 men who took part in filling the gap in 1914. Any help will be gratefully received.

Edwin if you can find out anything on your next visit to Norton, please do so. Have you fixed a date for your book launch yet? The delay means I should be able to make it, so long as it is after 12th August.

Regards Mike Jones

Thanks Mike. I knew I'd seen a reference to the dinner. No date for a book do.... probably in Sept., but I'd also like to attend the WFA talk on St Eloi later in the year.

Edwin

Hello Rob,

Yes Pte John Mills 7273 is on our list as being involved in the action at Gheluvelt on 31st October 1914 . He was awarded the 1914 Star but the Clasp was never claimed. Do you have any other information concerning his involvement, please?

Regards Mike Jones

Hello Rob,

Yes Pte John Mills 7273 is on our list as being involved in the action at Gheluvelt on 31st October 1914 . He was awarded the 1914 Star but the Clasp was never claimed. Do you have any other information concerning his involvement, please?

Regards Mike Jones

Hi, do you know if Pte 8223 Benjamin Roberts was their too please?

Duncan.

I am working on a list for the men of the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment who were at Gheluvelt October 31st 1914. Two reasons for this, first I think that there is a need for one because of the importance of that day ( along with the gallant stand of the South Wales Borders and other Regiments involved in saving the day) and secondly my grandfather was with the 2nd Battalion Worcesters. This will be a tribute to my grandfather and all his chums in the Battalion.

Working from the Worcester Roll for the 2nd Battalion at Worcester Cathedral and details from Stacke's book on the Worcesters in the Great War about 1003 Officers and men embarked for France in August 1914. Up untill 8th October a further 290 men were drafted in making a total of around 1293 men. Working from Soldiers died in the Great War part 34 Worcester Regiment and the GWCC Site I have accounted for 207 men KIA, DoW or died. Subtract this total and we have 1086 possible men left who could have been at Gheluvelt. From the Worcestershire Regimental magazine 'Firm' an article gave the initial strength for the four Companies on that day as 750 men, take this total from the 1086 possible names and we have 336. From this total I can take a further 60 men I know to have been survivors from the battle. The harder part now starts with checking casualty lists from Berrows Weekly, Worcester Evening News etc. So a total of around 270 men need to be checked out against wounded lists and this is where any help would be greatly appreciated. If any member could supply details of a 2nd Battalion Worcester man he thinks should be on the list then please let me know.

Regards

Peter

Hi Duncan,

the list is still in its early stages, masses of work still to do. We will always be ready to amend our list, given reasonable evidence that it is wrong in some way. I had to say that bit as no, I am sure Benjamin Roberts was not there. He is not on the Cathederal Roll of men that embarked, nor is he on my 1914 Star List. What do you Know about him, please? I think he was a Special Reservist who was in the 1/7th Battalion.

Regards Mike Jones

Mike and Peter,

Have either of you come across the name of Pte. Robert Hollings, no.8037 ?

Derek

R. Hollings is on the Worcester Cathedral Roll. Other than this I have no futher information on him to date. If I come across him in the future I will keep you posted.

Regards

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Hollings is alleged to have been wounded in the charge and did not attend the 50th anniversary dinner.

It looks like he was a reservist and embarked to France on 12th August, 1914.

Hi Duncan,

the list is still in its early stages, masses of work still to do. We will always be ready to amend our list, given reasonable evidence that it is wrong in some way. I had to say that bit as no, I am sure Benjamin Roberts was not there. He is not on the Cathederal Roll of men that embarked, nor is he on my 1914 Star List. What do you Know about him, please? I think he was a Special Reservist who was in the 1/7th Battalion.

Regards Mike Jones

Ohh dear!!! He's a 1914 Star I've just bought off Ebay. Not had it yet cause of the postal strikes. I hope I've not bought a dud???

Duncan.

Hi Duncan,

all is not lost yet and there are two rays of hope for you. A dedicated Worcester researcher and myself paid the National Archives to send us ALL the 1914 Star list for the 2nd Battalion. So we assumed we had all the men entitled. The list has 1297 men on it, so fits nicely with Peter's estimate. There are however men definitely entitled to the Star, who are not on our list! Sgt. Westwick 5236 was Killed in Action in September 1914 and does NOT have the Star. I have visited his grave in France. There are at least 12 others who died in France/Belgium in the qualifying period and dont have the Star. I am not talking of the Clasp, I mean the Star itself. So is there an addendum list of corrected or missed men? Your other hope is that Pte. Roberts is on the 3rd Battalion list of Star winners and Embarkation Roll. It crossed over to France on the same day as the 2nd Bn. and there may have been some interchange of men. This is something we must check on. You can help us sort it out a bit. I hope you downloaded Pte. Roberts Medal Index Card before you bid for his medals. What was the reference number for his Star, Please? It cant be the same number as my list, as he aint on it. If the number is different, it will lead me to the addendum list.

Regards Mike Jones

Panic over! I downloaded his MIC last night and he is entitled to a 1914 Star - it states 2nd battalion, transferring to the 7th. He landed in France in September 1914, so a reinforcement for the 2nd battalion. Frustratingly I can’t view the downloaded MIC here at work (something to do with our IT), or I’d post it up for you to have a look at. I’ll try and do it tonight.

Duncan.

What was the reference number for his Star, Please? It cant be the same number as my list, as he aint on it. If the number is different, it will lead me to the addendum list.

Regards Mike Jones

Hi,

The 1914 Star reference is L/2/B 2 Supp 122 - not sure about the Supp bit, it's hard to make out.

Duncan

Hi Mike,

What wonderful work you are doing with the Worcs, most of my past generation came from that area and moved north to the Walsall and Wolverhampton region after the 2nd World War, most of the family served with the Worcs, my grandfather in particular (he had 22 brothers and sisters!), Is theer a chance that his name would be on your list? George Evans?

I have Pte Daniel L Hughes' medals, he was Worc R. Disembarked with 2nd WORC R 12.8.14. A Pre war regualr who enlisted in 1907 served with 1st Bn until they went to India. Hughes was discharged 21.11.17 due to wounds entitled silver war badge. In light of evidence to the contrary I would like to think he was at Gheluvelt on 31 Oct 1914. MIC shows entitlement to clasp and roses.

Mark

• 2 years later...

Hi, not sure if this thread is still active? I would be grateful for any info or confirmation for 9441 Pte William Sharp, 2/Worc. Could he be a charger?

Thanks in advance, Rick

Could you tell me if if you have Private 6299 Clifford Page on the list? He served with 2nd Worcesters

He was a serving Constable with Leicestershire Police and was recalled to the colours on 5th August 1914 .He was KIA on 16th May 1915 and is commemorated on the Le Touret memorial.

Thanks

Jim

• 3 months later...
Guest 8irish

I am researching 8169 Pte.Albert Bernard Spiers, 2nd Battn, Worcestershire Regiment, He was a reservist and his incomplete paers show he was recalled to the colours 5/8/14, entered France 12/8/14,home 26/1/15.

Wounded with GSW to r.leg.Subsequently to No1. Observer Co. RDC.

Looks thus as if he could have been with the 2nd Battn.throughout the 1914 battles.,having been transferred from 3rd Batttn.

Can anyone tell me whether he was at Gheluvelt ?

Does he appear on the draft roll which was being researched or on the Gheluvelt 50 Anniversary Dinner list ?

I have his medals, 1914 star with clasp , VIC and BWM. MIC confirms 2nd Battn.

Thanks

Brian.